It Wasn’t My Dream

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

The bright gleaming lights glittered in the reflection on the road. After the heavy rain, even though it was quiet outside, there was a storm building up inside an old soul. Frustrated Luke Marcom, an old man with wrinkles on his face and a tired look, who wore a tattered jacket, decided to walk outside on the busy road.
The traffic swished passed. But nothing would over fear the memories of his past.
Luke Marcom who was just a newborn, who had literally seen nothing in this world, was punished to be born in a cast-off family. He was the target of a failed culture assimilation experiment done forcefully by many powerful leaders.
Misery, humiliation, emotional and psychological trauma, were some of the most painful things he could feel. He could still feel the chill running down his spine and horror of being take away from his mother, his very own mother.
After a long walk, broken hearted and depressed he decided to sit under the tall shady old tree with strong roots protruding heavily down from the ground. As he leaned back and rested on the trees, a story started forming behind his memory filled eyes. A few tears slipped down his gloomy face.
The story of how he was taken away from his beloved mother in 1950s and being separated from his elder sister unfolded in front of his eyes. He totally hated the misery and disrespect associated with it. He was forced to stay in a place where no one would ever wish to live, Garden Place Mission. A place of horror and cage for sorrowful souls. His beloved sister who was only three years old was also taken to Croker Island.
He was moved to foster care in Adelaide. His life was a disastrous mess. He did not find peace until the government started to take responsibility of their inaccurate decisions.
No one would ever be able to compensate the misery which Luke Marcom has suffered. But at least some form of compensation from the government will help to restore the respect and honour of the Aboriginal people who were the victim of ill-treatment and politics.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!