The Sound Of Our Love

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

The world around me is dark and blank, it’s been this way since I could remember. When I was two the doctors found out that I had cataracts in my eyes, and I went into surgery. It’s been dark since then, colours now being a faint memory.

It was hard to find my way around at first, I’m better at it now but I know that I’ll never get used to fumbling around for doorknobs and handrails. Once I’m sure that I can make my way downstairs without tripping I tune out her calls.
Walking out the door, I feel my mother hold my hand.
“When we get to the cafe I’ll make you some breakfast”, she speaks softly, knowing that I get startled easily.

She put my coat on and we walk across the road. The different sounds and smells of the city enchant me as we go.
‘The world may be beautiful, but only a blind man can see it’s true beauty’, it’s something a nurse said to me, I think.
My mother guides me into her cafe and to the railing on the wall while she prepares the machines.
Using the handrail as a guide, I walk to the corner of the room and sit down on the ottoman. My hands stretch-out and brush against the keys of an old piano, I feel them for a bit until I find what I’m looking for. There is a small crack in the middle of the E# key, and from there my fingers work on their own accord. Each note sounds beautiful by itself, but together they make a beautiful melody that sweeps me away from the rest of the world, like a calming wave.

A bell sounds as the door swings open. There’s a murmuring in the front of the shop and footsteps that come closer to me, a careful tread and the squeak of a chair as they sit down. My fingers stop as I turn my head towards the noise, a goofy grin spreads across my face.
“Hey”, my fringe falls in front of my face
“Hey”, he parrots back, pushing it back behind my ear. I blush and turn away shyly.

I play the morning away while he reads, it’s become a routine for all of us now. Mum serves, I play and he reads. I’m once again lost in a world of notes when I feel someone sit next to me.
“Teach me how to play piano, it sounds so beautiful when you play”, I blush and feel for his hand, guiding it to my special starting note. We play together and even though the tune is slightly off, I’m once again captured in a world of beauty.

He stops playing and I turn to where I hear him, his breathing is light as he grabs my face gently and pulls it towards him. Our breaths hitch as our lips connect, it’s light and gentle. I’ve found something even better then music.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!