A Story Of Nature

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

I’m standing tall, surrounded by my fellow friends that are crawling on my roots. I may be glued to the earth, but I still have journeys. I reach my branches into the sky, they sway in the wind. Then I reach my limbs higher, I feel the sunlight gazing on me. I know Mother Nature is looking out for me.
For over two hundred years I have been home for many creatures, I’ve witnessed their children and their grandchildren grow from tiny little nuggets to big strong animals. I have watched generations of birds build nests in my arms, possums scurry up and down my body, bugs and beetles snuggle under my bark, and many furry friends sleeping safely in burrows within my roots.
I have sheltered animals from the sweltering heat in summer and the blistering cold in the winter. We are all connected in Mother Nature’s family. We need each other to survive.
One day I felt the dirt blanketing my feet tremble. Something was coming, I just knew it. Suddenly, a big thing rumbled through the woods. It stopped, and out of nowhere came a huge silvery sharp blade. Then I fell, crashing to the ground.
I silently accepted my fate.
My friends scurried, and squawked in fright, as they fled their home.
As I fell, I heard the distant crying of Mother Nature on the winds, as many of her family were lost. That day her tears began to fall and fell for many days trying to save her remaining family.
Why would people do this?
I gave you life, in return I get nothing.
Our planet is to share, everyone has a part, nature has a part, and that part is slowly disappearing.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!