Madeline

Madeline clicked her dog’s collar in place and started to walk towards the forest. Sniff padded beside her. She noticed Sniff acting differently. He would slow down to look around. Maddie ignored it. A cold breeze came, making her ginger hair sway viciously. This was when Sniff stopped. Maddie, not taking notice, gently yanked the lead, “C’mon boy, a storm is coming. Let’s go back.” Sniff slowly followed Maddie back home but stopped to a rustling in the bushes. Maddie didn’t know whether to run or stay. Instinct told her to run while curiosity told her to stay. She yanked the lead again. Sniff turned to her with a meaningful look in his eyes. She wondered if she should use more force but she didn’t. No matter how ridiculous it sounded, she trusted Sniff. She heard a meow. Turning around slowly, she saw a cat - or a fox? It was cat-like in shape but with larger ears like a Fennec fox, white tipped tail and a white belly. The rest of it was neon pink! This creature was just starring up at her. Maddie turned to her dog, praying that he didn’t start barking. Sniff looked alarmed so she stroked his long black fur. She slowly pulled her phone from her pocket, opened the camera app, and - wait, where was it? It was gone. She looked around, noticing it beside a tree and beckoning her with its head. She loosely tied Sniff to a tree and whispered, “Please behave,” then followed the creature cautiously.
She tried taking a photo again. She held up the phone then “Hissss” went the creature. What should I call it, she thought putting her phone back in her pocket - other than Creature, that is? She examined the creature and noticed thick fur around its neck. I know what to call you: Puff! She followed ‘Puff’ towards a waterfall she had never seen. She sighed when she realized Sniff was following her. Maddie suddenly realized it had gotten dark. Oh no! My parents are going to be worried sick! Should I head back home or keep following Puff? She saw Puff sipping water from the river. Sniff went over to join her. Maddie was thirsty too. Staying away from Puff, she kneeled down and drank the cold, fresh water. The sound of crashing water echoed through the forest. She felt something furry on her head. She slowly lifted it up and looked at it. It was a green Puff! It hopped over to Puff and made some grunts and meows. Puff disappeared leaving the other puff staring at her. Sniff came and sat next to Maddie.
Puff came back with a grey puff. The grey puff nodded its welcome and wrote something in the soil: “You have to go home. Don’t tell anyone about us. You can visit.” Maddie nodded her understanding and turned for home. She was definitely coming back. She wanted to study these animals and maybe even become their friends.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!