The Tall Man

Finalist in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

It was the dead of night. I was in my cozy bed when suddenly I heard a noise. I quietly got up and looked out the window. There was a tall man just standing there. I thought I might be dreaming so I went back to bed.
Later I heard the sound of my curtains swaying. It was impossible, there was a big glass window behind it there was no way the curtain could sway and right in the same place was the man. I took up all my courage and went outside. But the man wasn’t there he had disappeared.
The next night was worse. The man was still there but he had moved a bit closer to the window I woke up my little brother but he couldn’t see him. Surely enough the man was gone. Weeks and days passed and the man was still there but every night he got closer to the window until one night bang! The man had broken the window.
The man spoke, “Well come on Alex.”
“How do you know my name?” I said, surprised. The man said, “Because I’m your future brother” and I can prove it. He jumped and clapped his hands and feet at the same time, something I knew only my brother can do.
“Why are you here?” I said.
“You’re coming with me on a quest,” he replied. “To the Amazon. Your future self has been bitten by the obra snake and his blood is so rare only you can save him."
“Wait”, I said, “if I need to save my future self, why did it take you so long to ask me?” My future brother said, “Obra poison takes a while to work. Tonight is when he needs you. You can’t be in the future too long otherwise you will turn to dust and without the past there is no future."
Then my future brother clicked his fingers and we were in the Amazon.
“Whoa,” I said, “now where is my future self?” “Exactly 1km away,” said my future brother, “we need to hurry.”
The rainforest around us was full of weird creatures, some I didn’t even recognise, but we were walking really fast. Suddenly I could see my future self lying down about 3m away, but 'oh no' I was starting to turn to dust! I ran and when I was about 10cm away, I reached out and touched my future self. Suddenly I became whole again and my future self stood up and said, “You saved me.”
“OK”, said my future brother “let’s take you home.” He clicked his fingers and I was in my bed. Then I said “what about the window?” My brother said “it will be fixed when you wake up”.
“OK”, I said and I went to sleep. When I woke up the window wasn’t broken and my future self and my future brother weren’t there. I guess I’ll find out in the future if I was dreaming.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!