When I Get Out Of Here

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

He loved every minute he got to sit by those windows. His hospital room was pretty dull, except for the most magnificent window the little boy had ever seen. He beamed a great big smile every minute he spent looking outside. It was just so bright and big and wonderful.

I wonder what the sun feels like, he thought.
He chuckled as he saw the puppies barking and fetching.
And the sun shining and the breeze blowing.
And he had the biggest smile as he saw the boys and girls running and jumping and playing.

“When I get out of here, I’m going to run and jump and play,” exclaimed the little boy.

When the little boy became a teenager, he again stared out at the window.
I wonder what the breeze feels like, he thought.
He smiled a sad sort of smile as he saw the dogs guarding and playing.
And the sun partly covered by darkening clouds.
And the couples walking by, arm in arm.

“When I get out of here, I’m going to walk arm in arm with someone,” he spoke softly.

When the teenager became a man, he yet again stared out at the window.
I’m too tired to wonder about anything, he thought.
He kept an angry scowl on his face as he saw the dogs, drooling and disgusting.
And the clouds, crying with tears of rain.
And he looked away as he saw the parents running, jumping and playing with their children.

“When I get out of here, I’m going to run, jump and play with my children,” he said in a low voice.

When the man approached middle age, he yet again stared out from the window.
I wonder what the rain feels like, he thought.
He kept an indifferent expression as he saw the greying dogs, wisely watching their puppies.
And the grey sky, as if it were frowning.
And he scoffed as he saw the people, texting and unaware of each other.

He didn’t have anything to say this time. Instead, he closed the curtains.

Years later, an old man opened the curtains. He looked outside the window, the most magnificent window. It was night time.

He saw the night dogs, prowling and howling, then returning to their loved ones.
He saw the moon, full and open, complete.
And he saw an elderly couple, come to relive past nights spent looking up at the stars. He smiled. He didn’t have to wonder what that felt like.

“It’s beautiful,” he whispered.

But he wasn’t looking out at the window anymore, he turned to face the other wall. The wall of seats in his little hospital room, filled with his wife and children and grandchildren, all sleeping.

“When I get out of here, they will run and jump and play for all those days I couldn’t,” he said in the lowest voice he could.

And with that he knew it was time. He had finally gotten out of there.
THE END

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!