Hatty Gets Jealous

Hatty and Cecilia get to their classroom on time on Monday which is normal. What is not normal is the bag in the empty locker… Hatty asks “Has Rupert Zic switched classes or something?”
“Probably not,” Cecilia replies. She notices a pink heart keychain hanging off the bag.
“I don’t think he likes hearts!”
The girls giggle as they walk into the classroom. But then they notice a banner on the roof.
A kid is shyly standing with the teacher. She’s wearing the Maple primary uniform like everyone else, pink heart earrings, and a pink heart hairpin.
“This is Ruby.” The teacher says.
“She’s new, so make her feel welcome.”
“Ruby, how about you sit on the spare desk between Hatty and Cecilia?
These lovely girls will look after you.”
Ruby shuffles to the desk. She grins at Cecilia. Cecilia grins back. She flashes a quick small smile at Hatty. Hatty fakes a big one.
The new girl must like Cecilia more! HOW RUDE!
“Now everyone", the teacher says. "We’re going to get into our study groups and keep doing our research on animals. Go get laptops and pencil cases.”
Ruby has to join Hatty and Cecilia, since she now sits between them.
After they get computers, everyone takes their pencil case. Ruby's is red with a pink heart in the middle.
During the study, Cecilia and Ruby keep cracking jokes as they work, like Cecilia and Hatty usually do!
HATTY IS QUEITLY FUMING!
At play break, Hatty gets her cap and snack, and asks Cecilia if she wants to play the “Fairies stuck in a storm cloud” game they love to play.
“Sure.” Cecelia says. “Can Ruby play too?”
“Uhh…” Hatty stutters, shocked. “Um…you see…err!”
“I’D LOVE TOO!” Ruby squeals. “Can we start?”
They do play and Cecilia and Ruby have an awesome time, but Hatty doesn’t.
The next two lessons roar by in a sweep of education, Cecilia had Ruby having fun, and Hatty getting INCREDIBLY jealous.
At lunch, Hatty finds Cecilia sitting with Ruby!
The girls briefly say “Hi!" And then just keep chatting.
“WHY HAVE YOU STOLEN MY FRIEND?”
Cecilia and Ruby looked shocked.
“Hatty? What?” Cecilia manages to say.
“I don’ under-” Ruby begins.
“THE HELLO! THE JOKES DURING RESEARCH! PLAYBREAK! IT ALL SHOWS YOU HAVE A NEW BEST FRIEND, CECILIA.”
Cecilia and Ruby start to look sorry. Hatty can’t believe she just said that.
“Um, I need to go do something.” Hatty mumbles, scoops up her lunch, and dashes.
“Hatty! I’m so sorry! I wasn’t thin-" Cecilia begins, but Hatty has already run away.
Cecilia and Ruby dash after her. They find her in the girls' bathroom, starring into a mirror.
"Hatty.” Cecilia softly says when Hatty sees her.
“I was ignoring you and was only thinking of myself and Ruby.”
“I’m really, really sorry, but I think you could have been a bit friendlier. Ruby’s only new.”
Hatty rolls off a rough paper towel from the dispenser, and dabs at her tears.
“You’re right,” she says.
“I should have controlled myself more and I shouldn’t have been jealous."
“And I’m sorry," Ruby interjects. "The whole thing was partly my fault. I should have given Hatty a bigger smile and talked to her too.”
Everyone does a group hug.
Then the bell rings, and they go outside to play.
The End.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!