Bactrack


The crowd cheered and applauded as the newest yet, world’s best singer stepped onto the stage. Audrey looked down at the crowd who were now wilder than ever before. How did she manage to fulfil her dream ? That was something that would stay in her mind forever. Audrey could see her sisters in the front row. She looked up in the sky, searching for parents somewhere among the stars.



They weren’t that poor, however, they were nowhere close to rich. Her dad was a cleaner and her mum was a Nurse-in-training. Her mum had to stay and look after the family, after her dad’s accident. Audrey’s life wasn’t easy either; she had one older sister that only visited once a fortnight. She had a younger sister aged three which Audrey was responsible as her mum was busy looking after her dad. This never stopped her from achieving her dream to be a singer. The family loved and cared for each other.



Audrey listened to the busy sounds of London; the buses, cars and people. It was nearly four ‘o’clock, Audrey quickened because she knew today her big sister was visiting. Amy was not like other sisters she loved the family even though she had friends who didn’t. She had a part time job as a cook. She didn’t use the money to buy the latest trends instead, saved a small fund to have enough money for father’s operation.



Audrey opened the front door of the old house, exterior was painted white but most of the paint had dried out and bits had fallen off. The heat rushed to her face making goose bumps after the cold walk. Everyone was sitting in the lounge with upset faces, except for Anna, who was playing peekaboos with the new teddy bear Amy provided. Audrey dropped her bag on the ground and sat next to Amy who switched on the TV.



“Breaking news, there are new tests confirming the Ebola Virus is back,” explained the reporter.

“So ?” Audrey looked down at the piece of paper handed by Mother and read aloud, “I am very sorry to say that your test for Ebola Virus was positive. I am concerned for your matter and will do everything to help.” Audrey trailed off at the last words ‘please remember your family is in danger too.’



Mother had never been this upset before; she was always full of smiles and laughter. However, today was different. “How was school?” Father enquired.

“Good thank you. How was today for you both?”

“Well, it was great actually,” mother cheered.

“Does anyone want to help me make a cake?” asked Amy.

“Yes,” Audrey and Anna chorused.



“Where are we going?” asked Anna. No one replied but Audrey knew that it was because both her parents had Ebola and they didn’t want them to catch it. “We’re going to Australia,” Amy finally answered. Everyone had already said their goodbyes. Tears rolled down Audrey’s cheeks as the taxi took its speed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!