Tsunami

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

Tsunami
It was a normal day off the island of Hawaii. Then suddenly, almost out of nowhere, a low rumbling sound began. Fish darted back and forth like arrows shot from a bow. Soon the area was deserted and just in time too. A mound of earth the size of a ship burst open and filled the sea with lava. It was an under-water volcano! But above water, it was causing something huge…
Meanwhile, back on land, a passing monkey spotted something way out to sea. It was huge! Gigantic! Enormous! The monkey saw something that made the hairs on the back of his neck stand on edge. The wave was getting bigger and bigger the more it moved. A boy on the beach ran back to the village screaming “Tsunami!”
After a minute, the wave was so big that everyone in the village could see that it was heading… STRAIGT FOR THEM!!!!
Well, you might have been wondering where I was at this moment. To tell you the truth, I was actually hiding from the citizens of the island, not really the tsunami. They called themselves “Fearless and his friends, or The Terrors.” It wasn’t a bad name, either. But as I peeped out through my covered face, I saw something that everyone else hadn’t noticed. A dolphin was struggling through the water.
Now, as I look back, I don’t know what made me do what I did then but I did it anyway. I grabbed a boat and pushed it towards the ocean. Then I jumped in. Too late I realised the terrible mistake I’d made. I struggled through the tsunami. Then it started to rain…
An hour later, I was so tired that I was barely able to keep my head up out of the boat. Then, as I was just about to give up, I turned around and saw the poor dolphin. It was wrapped in plastic and was only a pup. It must have been separated from its parents because of the tsunami. I guessed that it had been here for hours, maybe days. Suddenly, the rain turned into hail and everything went black…..
I woke up a few hours later and found that I was on my bed. My mother was leaning over me and she looked worried. “Are you OK darling?” “Yeah. I’m fine. Why?” “Oh, you were just turning around in your bed just like you were rowing. Plus you were screaming.” Then I realised. The whole thing was a nightmare.








FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!