Begging For A Budgie

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

“Please Mum all I want is a budgie. Don’t you want a budgie to sit on your shoulder all day, Mum, Please?”
“No. Stop pestering me!” Mum glared.
I stormed off to my room and flopped onto my bed. I thought for a minute, aha, it’s my birthday in two days. I can be more convincing.
I sprinted to the kitchen, coming to a sudden stop. “Mum. It’s my birthday in two days, can I get a budgie for my birthday?” I asked politely.
“I’ll see after I talk to Dad about it honey,” said Mum.
“Fingers crossed,” I whispered to myself.
“Go feed Goldy the fish, Anabelle,” said Mum sternly.
“OK Mum,” I replied.
I got the food, popped open the lid and poured the flakes in.
“Bubble, bubble,” went Goldy.
“Done!” I called.
Ding, dong. I flung open the door
“Daddy you're home,” I said excitedly.
“Honey can we have a talk, Annabelle you wait here,” warned Mum.
I waited in anticipation. I couldn’t sit still. After the chat, I felt hopeful but also nosey, I just really wanted to know! I got ready for bed while Mum and Dad continued to talk.
“I’m in bed!” I called out, closing my eyes tightly, hoping that my wish would come true.
Mum and Dad came in. “What's the answer?” I asked nosily.
“You’ll have to wait and see,” said Mum.
The next day dragged on. I thought my birthday would never come. Every step I took, all I could think of was getting a budgie.
The next morning I woke up. “It’s my birthday today!” I shouted with glee.
Ding dong,
“Grandma you're here!” I cried joyfully as I opened the door.
“Happy birthday!” Grandma said proudly.
I heard a tweet coming from Mum and Dad’s bedroom. My heart pounded as I ran upstairs, Grandma came too.
“Happy birthday!” the three sang together.
There before my eyes was a cage shaped present, could it be? Could it be true? I ripped open the paper, pulled off the blanket and there I saw a beautiful blue, fluro-winged budgie in a bright blue cage. I couldn’t believe my eyes, my dream had finally come true.
“I’ll name you Sparkles! Thanks Mum, thanks Dad, this is the best present ever.”
I frantically opened all the other presents so I was not rude, but all I wanted to do was play with my budgie.
I adore my little budgie. It is the best present ever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!