Hagorf Or Home

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

I was screaming. I had absolutely no idea how I got here or where I am.
‘Hello!,’ I yelled. ‘Can anyone hear me!’
I started running.
‘It was something to do with that book,’ I said to myself. ‘It has to be.’
I was reading this completely random book from the Library of Spooks. Then all of a sudden, a hairy, bony hand reached out and dragged me right in. I was still running. I ran out of breath and fell to the ground, unconscious.

‘Well, who do we have here,’ said a deep calming voice, waking me up.
‘You’ll never hurt me,’ I said.
‘Young lad, you listen here,’ said the voice, once again. ‘I’d never even dream of hurting a fine youngster like you.’
My sight started to cooperate. I saw a crinkled old man, dressed in a slightly ripped brown suit. A huge wave of sunlight washed over me through a crack, as I realised that we were in a fairly large hollow tree trunk. My eyes couldn't take it anymore, so I closed them, putting my hand over. I felt the sunlight wash away. I slowly removed my hand and opened my eyes. I felt dizzy, and I wanted to go back home, but I knew that to do that, I had to find out how. I sat up.

He took me to a different room, supposedly where he kept all of his potions.
‘Why would he have potions?’ I muttered under my breath.
The man handed me some sort of turquoise liquid.
‘What is this for?’ I asked.
‘This is a teleportation potion,’ he said.
‘I drink it?,’ I asked, confused. ‘How should I trust you, in fact, what even is your name?’
‘Hagorf, wizard of the Wandering Woods,’ said Hagorf. ‘And yes, you drink it.’
‘So it will take me back home?’
‘Yes.’
I drank it. Nothing happened.
‘Ah, bingle-toes, I forgot the spit of an wedge toothed echilabo,’ said Hagorf.
It was already two days later, and Hagorf was still out finding a wedge toothed echilabo.
‘What is a wedge toothed echilabo,’ I had asked.
‘Don't you worry about that,’ he had said. ‘All you need to worry about is that you get back home.’
So I had left the conversation there. Suddenly, a smiling face appeared in front of me.
‘I got it, I really got it!,’ Hagorf said , almost screaming.
‘Yeah, not like you took two days,’ I said sarcastically, but in a fun way.
He ran to the potions room and mixed it together. He ran back out and gave me the mixture. Gulp. My body started turning, and with a bang, I was in my bedroom.
‘Thankyou,’ I said quietly.
‘That’s alright,’ Hagorf was standing in my room, and with a click of his fingers, he was gone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!