Talent Extravagant

Have you ever been on stage for a talent? Well I have, and I’m going to take you on a journey back to my experience that scared the living daylights out of me. It was just another day at my school but as I got closer to my class, I saw some excited people. Olivia, my best friend ran up. I knew that she was the key to my answer because her blue eyes were glistening with excitement. There was going to be a Talent Quest. I had no interest because I am horrified at the thought of hundreds of people staring at me so I just shrugged innocently.
‘What are you going to do?’
‘Gymnastics definitely.’
The next day, I was shocked when I discovered I was on the program! When I talked to Ms Karalis, she said that Olivia signed me up and it was too late to change my mind. I never wanted to compete so how could I change my mind! I was so furious that smoke was coming out of my ears and my head was about to fall off. I asked Olivia why she entered me.
‘No one would be able to beat you, you’re way too good at singing,’ she coolly replied.
‘Not if I freeze on stage, like a clueless clown without a wig,’ I answered in panic. We agreed to meet at my house to think of a song. I practised and practised until finally I was ready to sing in front of my whole family and Olivia. I was so nervous that my blue shiny glasses fogged up. I tried to sing but couldn’t and ended up running away, ricocheting into the wall.
Olivia ran after me concerned that I was panicking. The next day, I still didn’t know what to do about my stage fright. There were wet sulky tears running down my cheeks as I put on my silk chiffon dress embroidered with pearls and gems and went downstairs with butterflies in my stomach.
Olivia picked me up with these exact words, ‘Remember everyone is your friend.’ I took that in as my last resort. When it was my turn, I was shaking like a dainty leaf in the wind but I remembered Olivia’s words so I envisioned everyone to be Olivia and performed. When I finished I felt very proud and peoples’ hands were clasped to their mouths in disbelief at my talent.
When they announced the winner, I was biting my nails vigorously, the tension was building. “Emily Emilsten” - Me! I ran on stage, trying to hide my chipped nails and stood there, people clapping, warm happy tears cascading onto my tomato red cheeks. I had not only overcome my stage fright, and learnt that everyone is my friend, but I won $50 that I used to buy a new microphone. So if you ever feel like fainting on stage, just remember, everyone is your friend because it might benefit you in the future.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!