Crimson Hope

Finalist in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

Light scattered through the tall, ancient trees. I sigh, wishing for such a moment to last forever. This world doesn't seem to have enough time to keep everywhere this beautiful. A soft autumn breeze gently picks up fallen leaves, whisking them around playfully. Ever since my younger sister left us, my entire world has been thrown into disarray.
Crimson...where are you...My thoughts echo hollowly inside my head. Nothing. My thoughts...are all I have left. I feel so hollow... I must leave. I must seek out those that I need. I shall search for her to fill this void in my heart and sustain hope.
I walk slowly into a quaint little town, snow falling softly onto my shoulders. Glancing around, there seems to be an array of small, comforting shops scattered about. Walking towards what seems to be an inn, I open the old, wooden door. A blast of warm air and sound hits me like a wave. I quickly close the door after me, shutting the cold air outside. Looking around, I see that other travellers have found refuge out of the cold weather. The innkeeper sits drowsily behind a bench. A table with four travellers gather near a blazing fire, warming themselves to the bone. I tap on one of the traveller’s shoulders and a man with green hair turned to face me.
"Yes? What can I do for you?" he asked me, tilting his head to one side.
"I was wondering if I could sit here..." I whispered in reply.
"Huh? Oh sorry, you should ask Grey, that person over there. She is our leader," he prompted.
He turned back to a companion beside him, a young girl with stunning sky blue hair. I shuffle over to them.
"So…you want to sit here?" Grey questions.
I nod in reply.
"Go ahead, no problem!" she responds as I pull up a chair close to the group.
"So...could I bother you all enough to join you? I've needed to travel with other people for a while, but I haven't found anyone yet..."
A girl with gleaming silver hair jumps forward and clutches my hands, "Of course!! We would love to have you!!" she cried. The girl was pulled back by Grey, their 'leader'.
"Silver! We can't just let someone join us as easy as that!!" Grey hissed at Silver, who I assumed was her sister.
"But Greeeey, they look like they'd be fun to have around..."
Grey shook her head. "If he's not strong, he'll die if he comes with us!"
Silver started to giggle. "Oh wow...HE?"
Grey tore her gaze from the giggling Silver to look at me. "Wait...what!? You’re a girl?" Grey's jaw dropped in disbelief.
"Did you think I was a guy? Well then..." I remove my hood, letting my long, scarlet hair drape around my knees. “See? I’m a girl too,” I chuckled.
Silver laughed.
My spirits rise knowing that I’m now not alone in my search to find my precious, younger sister.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!