I Hate Word Limits!

Whoever is reading this, good day. My name is Athena. Yes, like the Greek Goddess. I am 12 years old and an aspiring author. I love writing, it frees my spirit, making my bright blue eyes spark and the hairs in my red braid stand on end.

“Athena!” my mother cried. “Get down here, please!”
I grimaced and looked sadly at the story I’d been writing.
“Disruptive,” I muttered and stomped downstairs.
“Yes Mum?” I asked sullenly. I hated being interrupted when writing.
“Miss Bianca sent me a writing competition for you. It’s 500 words on peac-”
“NO!” I shouted. “I’ve told Miss Bianca how much I hate word limits. You know that I hate word limits! They’re so…confining!”
It was my mother’s turn to sigh as she gave up persuading her stubborn daughter and handed me egg on toast. I tucked a pen into my hair, slung my backpack on and walked out the door. Leaping onto my bike, I cycled down the lane, headed for Grenfield High.

I braked and rolled my bike onto the rack. I ran to the Year Seven classrooms. Marielle, my friend, joined me and we talked about confinement.
“Word limits are the worst,” she said. “They ruin my creativity.” She adjusted her leopard spot glasses.
“This is why you’re my friend.” I smiled.
“Because…” Marielle glanced at me.
“We hate word limits!” I finished happily.
Then, the bell tolled. It was time for lessons.

Miss Bianca was the best. She let us call her by her first name and she loved English classes! I smiled to myself and opened my desk top, taking out my English book. Sliding my pen out of my hair, I wrote a story about a group of heroines who guarded a forest.
“Athena,” Miss Bianca said from behind me. “What did you think of the competition I sent you? Your writing is exquisite!”
I turned and blushed. “Thank you, Miss Bianca. Only word limits hold me back. I hate word limits! They are as troublesome as monkeys!”
She grinned and called for recess.

When I returned home on my bike, I raced upstairs and slid into my chair and eagerly opened my English book. Today’s homework was to write a story. Even though it had a word limit, I was chipper until I saw Miss Bianca’s note.
‘Let’s try 500 words this time, Athena.’ it said.
“I hate word limits,” I muttered to myself, touching my pen to the page.

“Hey Mum,” I said cautiously as I picked at my sausages at dinner. “Can I go finish my homework? I’ve had an idea.”
“Of course, Athena sweetie,” she chirped, rinsing her plate.
I sighed and picked up the remaining sausage, tramping upstairs.

The next morning when I arrived at school, I gave Miss Bianca my English book with my story in it. She opened the book and smiled.
The title was:

I hate word limits! (for Miss Bianca’s Competition)

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!