The Helpful Neighbour

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

One creepy, stormy night the thunder was crackling fiercely and the wind was howling. All of a sudden, there was a CRASH followed by an ear-piercing scream coming from next door! Before I could open the door, there was another CRASH!! I was stuck! The door wouldn’t budge. Something was blocking it from opening. I then used the back exit, bolted into the front yard and saw that two trees had fallen over and blocked the front door.
I ran into the shed, grabbed my axe and ran back out. Rain was hitting heavily. “I’m coming!” I yelled to my neighbour. Another tree was knocked over, but this time it smashed into my neighbour’s house. I quickly chopped up as much soaking, thick wood as I possibly could to find an entry. I leapt into the house before another tree came crashing down behind me, only to discover there was no electricity… it was almost totally dark. “Help! Help! I’m upstairs!” I heard my neighbour’s faint voice call out. “OK!” I replied, using the biggest voice I could find as I darted up the staircase towards him.
I finally reached the room where the tree trunk had smashed the roof and the rain was getting in. At last I found Edward who was frantically pacing backwards and forwards, pale with fright. A huge tree branch was stopping us from reaching each other. There was a small opening that allowed me to squeeze through to get to him. I remembered there was now a tree branch, which stopped us from exiting downstairs. Luckily, there was a little emergency rope he had that was very strong, so I threw it down out the window, which was smashed to pieces. We then climbed down carefully whilst holding the side of the house and ran into my yard to get through the back door and out of the storm. We were now safe.
The next day, when the weather was clear, I helped Edward repair his smashed in roof and remove the broken tree branches, which were blocking the paths and entry into his house. I also helped him with the big task of cleaning up the debris inside his home.
After a very long day, we headed back into our own houses and fell on our beds and sighed with relief. What a day!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!