On The Rocks

Finalist in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

Storm clouds had been gathering for hours, and the ship's Captain knew they were in trouble. The mist started rising, as the Captain ran over to help tie the cargo down.
The boat began to tip to the side. "We're going to sink!" shouted the Captain to the First Mate, "throw the cargo off."
"But it's gold!" chorused the men.
"I don't care!" the Captain shouted in the most manly voice a terrified man could make.
A giant sloshing wave came down, CRASH! The wave tore off the cargo. They suddenly saw a dim light through the thick mist. As they got closer to the mysterious light, a tall white building came into view. There was silence, then the Captain realised it was a lighthouse.
"Turn port!" barked the Captain, "away from shore!"
Then they saw the black jagged rocks, but it was too late. The ship crashed into the rocks, SMASH! The boat seemed to be alright until they heard a call from the lower decks, "There's a hole in the ship, Captain."
"Abandon ship!" ordered the Captain.
"You heard the man," said the First Mate, "get to the lifeboats."
As the lifeboats were lowered, the white sloshing waves seemed to get bigger. As they started rowing, noodle like tentacles stretched out of the deep blue.
"It's the Kraken!" shouted the Captain, as the monster plucked the last of the gold from the sinking ship. "It is looking at us, next it will be coming after us!" he shouted.
"Does it have any weaknesses?" asked the scared First Mate.
"Only one - it's attracted to light," said one of the crew.
"We're doomed, how could we possibly find a light big enough to attract a monster of that size?" said the First Mate.
"What about the lighthouse?" the men said over and over again.
"Yes, we should use the lighthouse," said the Captain.
"Great idea, Captain," encouraged the men, "but when will the lighthouse light turn this way?"
The Captain thought for a moment then at last he finally said dramatically, "I have no idea?"
Suddenly a noodle like tentacle reached out and squeezed all the men together and dunked them in the water and then pulled them out again. It raised its giant head above the water. The men were eager to escape so they tried to use all their strength to push the tentacle away. The Kraken didn't budge. Was this the end?
Suddenly a blinding light glowed in their faces, the Kraken seemed instantly intrigued and let them go. They all cheered until they realised there was no lifeboat below them.
"Use your life jackets!" called the Captain.
So they bobbed like jelly fish back to shore. As they left, the Kraken flung itself on to the lighthouse. The sailors trudged onto the shore and began walking for home, when First Mate asked, "What about the lighthouse keeper?"
"He'll be fine," announced the Captain.
"ARRRGHHH!" screamed a frightened lighthouse keeper.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!