Lost In Time

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

‘Knock, knock, knock’; there he was building. Hammering at his mech all day all night, as if stuck in the moment. He was building his death bed. Can he achieve his final goal?
After months and even years later the hammering stopped. He was finished his machine, the machine that would bring him ultimate power over the world and time.
Will it work?
He powered up the machine and closed the hatch. The dark space was confronting, and the rattling noises didn't make him feel any better.
‘SPLASH!’
The machine hit something. ‘Click, click’ - the hatch opened. A brilliant pour of light came in through the crack, he came out and a smudge of disappointment blew across his face. He had landed on an ocean but not your regular ocean; it was a time ocean. It was a great sight to see. The waves were big, and the white caps looked like frothing snow. The whole ocean is a blue green colour. However, work had to be done. He decided he couldn't stay, so out of the machine he pulled one small blow up row boat, some paddles and his rations.
On one miserable overcast day the small boat hit land. At the time the man was asleep but with a jolt he woke suddenly from his slumber. He saw this island and with fear, stepped onto the smooth pebbles. He walked toward the centre of the island. He could hear the distant screams of people who made it this far but were so tormented by the voices that they swam away.
However, as the man very well knew, you couldn't touch the ocean, or you would be wiped from the universe.
The scene of this island was foul. Not one tiny bit of good showed in it. On the beach the sand that was meant to be golden like the rays of light glinting on any reflective surface,
was as black as soot. The trees were shrivelled and dead. The sky filled with storm clouds, while high up above thunder boomed. The lightning was even worse, lashing down as if to
warn him that there was no hope on this dead island. At night voices would torment him. Telling himself that he didn't do this, that it was all a dream, he managed to hold on, to stay at this island for three days. How long could he hold on?
As if tormented by someone at school and feeling like rubbish, this man felt the weight of every step. He was now wishing to die, hoping that his time would come. Only the ocean would do that. So, on one night he walked down to the shore and took one last breath before he jumped in. In the distance you could hear the scream of him as he took one last plunge into the icy depths.
From then on, the children told his story.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!