Guardians Of Shara

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

There was an eerie silence over the forest. Their quest has started. After leaving their homes and families the companions– Jarrod and Lucas - met at the pathway into the Forbidden Forest. They must defeat the Black Lord, the evil ruler of the land since 10 years ago when he had overthrown the king. The people of Shara lived in fear of breaking one of the many rules made by their self-proclaimed leader. He had spies everywhere, which made it hard to escape the city, but it was still possible.
The companions had agreed they must find the five Guardians of the country. They had gone into hiding after the Black Lord had come into power. The only place really out of reach of the Black Lord was the Forbidden Forest. Even the Black Lord respected the name of the forest. Whatever the horror that lurked in the shadows of the trees, Jarrod and Lucas would soon find out.
The trees and shadows seemed to play with the companions, putting them on edge, because surely it wasn’t called the ‘Forbidden’ Forest for nothing. The air grew steadily colder around them as they ventured deeper into the forest. They only rested when they could see no more.
They awoke at first light and set off in the hope of finding one of the Guardians as soon as they could. After gulping down a cold breakfast, they left without leaving a trace that anyone had camped there. They had the feeling that someone… or something, was following them. Then they heard it. At first it was a faint sound, but then it got louder and louder until it was unbearable. Writhing and wriggling on the ground, the two companions were helpless. The beast emerged from the shadows of the trees. If the companions had not been squirming on the ground, they would have seen the shaggy appearance of the unknown monster, they wouldn’t have been so scared. Managing to open one eye even though the noise was still going on, Jarrod caught a glimpse of the beast and opened his mouth in shock, a frail old man walked before him.
“What?!” Jarrod said. The old man must have heard him, because he stopped blowing into his whistle. “Are you with or against the Black Lord?” he asked guardedly. As Lucas came back to his senses, Jarrod answered, “Against.”
The man explained that he was a Guardian. He suspected that the companions were searching for him to help them defeat the ruler of the land, but a dark thought suddenly struck him- what if they had been sent to lure him out into the open, then betray him to the Black Lord. No sooner had he thought the thought, when some of the Black Lord’s servants ambushed them.
Quickly diving out of the way, Jarrod and Lucas watched in horror as the evil gang overpowered the old Guardian, the last hope for Shara. Unfortunately, they could do nothing about it.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!