Sad Lovers


The sun poured through the window like golden honey. Shadows danced gracefully along the carpet that stretched lazily on top of the rickety, wooden floors. Dust glided through the air, traveling around the cluttered attic before resting on an old chair that lay on the ground; its legs too weak to stand on.

The roof creaked and whined almost giving in to the weight that hanged below it. The rope rubbed restlessly against the plank of wood it was tied around. The sun hid behind the trees outside the window. The shadows cowered into the darkest corners of the room. The dust hid behind a lonely mirror that reflected its horror.

Below came the sound of footsteps that echoed throughout the empty house, they rushed up the groaning stairs and pushed through the attic door that cried out in protest — afraid of what the person would see. The steps ceased and the figure of an elderly man dropped to his knees from the horrendous sight that hanged in front of him.

Silence suffocated the room.

The shadows peered through the darkness, the dust curiously floated around, and the sun peeked through the crooked branches of the tree. The house grew restless from the lack of life that resided within.

The man screamed.

Whilst he bawled and blubbered, he got up and hurried towards the ghostly figure. His stubby fingers clawed at the rope until it curled away from the flesh, causing the body to drop gracelessly. The floor squeaked beneath the still figure.

The man knelt next to the body. His hands softly caressed the emotionless face, but there was no response. His tears fell from his wrinkled cheeks onto the ageing body of the woman he loved. The tears slithered across the tethered skin on her neck before vanishing. Her glassy eyes that were filled with crimson stared lifelessly up at the ceiling, ignoring the constant whimpering of her name.

The man wobbled onto his frail legs. His vision was blurred with sadness as he stumbled his way towards the door, leaving behind his decomposing wife. His movements were wild as he scampered down the first few stairs. One foot came in front of the other until his legs caved in, unable to keep up.

The man’s fragile body tumbled down the stairs, his head smacking against the floor. A dark red liquid surrounded his head. The man laid there, the heart that used to pound like a drum now silent.

The two sad lovers were reunited.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!