Mishaps Of Whisps

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

The sun was beaming down on Izzy and she could feel sweat trickling down her neck as she happily skipped down her normal route home. Then suddenly she heard her name being called in a quiet squeaky voice, "Izzy, Izzy.” Izzy’s impetuous soul is always looking for adventure so her mind as well as her body took a sharp turn right. As she peered into a tunnel of darkness, she saw a cloud of glowing colourful mist creatures. From what Izzy has read, she knows these creatures are called Whisps and they're very rare.
She approached the Whisps and she reached out to touch one. As her hand touched its transparent, bitter cold body, it fell to the ground and started saying, "Help me, help me, take me too her."
"What on earth does that mean?" blurted Izzy.
Then out of nowhere, the Whisps formed a magical, colourful cloud around Izzy and started tugging her down into the vast never-ending tunnel of darkness. It didn't stay dark for long because the Whisps started glowing like a million glow sticks at a birthday party.
Not long after her eyes adjusted from the lights as bright as the sun, there was a tiny black cottage and then a booming crash, which sounded to Izzy like pots and pans. Then an old short lady with hair as white as milk busted open the old bamboo door and screeched, "Ohhhhhh welcome, welcome to my house, a few things I would like to say is, I am a master of spells and Whisps, but most people call me a witch of the Whisps." The witch beckoned Izzy and the almost dead Whisp into her 'cottage'.
"OH your eyes are like the northern lights, your hair is pitch black and you're as tall as a giraffe’s neck, so what's the problem?" the witch squeaked.
"Well I just reached out and touched it, then the last thing I knew it died right in front of me," Izzy felt a single tear run down her face. The witch pointed to a long rule chart on the wall and the writing was as big as a fire truck. She read it aloud, "Do not touch the Whisps, if you do, I'll make this recipe. Two cups of kitty-litter, a single bear claw and hair from the king and that will bring the little Whisp back to life,” then she was going to say more but she thought for a second and didn't say the rest. As dumb as this sounded to Izzy, the witch made this and dropped three drops of this potion into the Whisp’s behind. There was a three seconds wait, but to Izzy, this felt like 3 years then the little Whisp zoomed up into the air as fast a tiger about to pounce on a cub.
When Izzy arrived home, she went to turn the doorknob and her hands were a mist like pink colour just like a Whisps.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!