This Is My Quest

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

I stood there, gawking at the crinkled parchment. I couldn't believe my eyes. All this time I thought my father had been assassinated, but he hadn't. He had been seized by natives and taken away. He must've thrown this paper to my mum years ago, when she said he died.
But she had lied, to keep me away from the truth. A shout from my mum broke my train of thought and I ran down from the attic, but I had one objective: to save my father.
Rain poured down on my head, drenching me, but I couldn't do anything about it. I had run into the dense jungle without thinking. I had no food, no water. But I didn't care. I still trudged on. I had one thing on my mind: to find my father. The note said it was nearby to the fabled lake. I had found a stream and trudged alongside it. All I had was hope, no evidence.
Hours later, hope glittered in my eyes as I saw a trail of smoke. If I didn't find my father, at least I would have food and water. Maybe even a weapon, as I had heard that the temple was heavily guarded by the natives. Then I realised even if I did find my father I wouldn't know, as I had never seen him. As I got closer to the trail of smoke, I saw a man, alone. He wasn't native, as his skin wasn't dark. He was a white man, but with a scarred face and only a tattered cloth around his waist. He looked famished, looking like a withered plant. I decided to take a risk and present myself to him. As my feet split a twig he looked up. I vaguely felt a glimmer of recognition inside me. He directly demanded, "Who are you?" "I am Phillip Robertson. I am on a pursuit to find my father, captured by natives 13 years ago. I know this because I found a parchment saying that." I answered. The man suddenly looked more alive and vibrant than he did before. "Did I hear that right? Are you Phillip Robertson?!" He gaped. "Yes, that is my name." He added with a grin. "Then, son, I believe you have completed your quest!" A smile broke onto my face. I sprinted up to him and embraced him. Tears rolled down my cheeks, then becoming a stream. I was the happiest kid on Earth. I had completed my quest! I had found my father, found my life!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!