Humans And Robots

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

Will told Ben, Matt and I about a disaster with some robots. He was a very skinny, American scientist in his mid-forties who had lots of messy, grey hair.
"So, all the Al robots in the world got hacked by someone and they are now programmed to kill the human race," Will explained and as soon as he finished speaking we heard powerful clanking noises from above our underground science lab.
"It's the robots!" Will exclaimed while looking frantically for a spot to conceal himself in, "Everybody hide!" We all sprinted to the desk and were jammed in an uncomfortable space in awkward conditions. This going to be a long day I thought.
The robots have been patrolling around the lab for ages," Matt whispered. Matt was a handsome, British scientist who was in his early thirties with silky brown hair that always looked good.
"Yes, we know that," Will hissed harshly.
"Oh, stop bickering you two," Ben snapped.
"All of you stop it!" I shouted just before everyone shushed me.
"We need to come up with a plan," Matt sighed. Everyone nodded in agreement.
A few minutes later Will had an idea. "We could try hacking into them to change their programming."
"But how?" Ben asked.
"We could sneak around the lab to get the computer?" I suggested.
"I'm not going!" we all yelled in unison before shushing each other again.
"You know what this calls for guys," Matt sighed, "A scissor, paper, rock competition."
"Looks like you lost Will," I told him after three rounds. He wasted no time by going straight to the computer, grabbing it, and came back all while avoiding the robots' eagle-like eyes. Ben took the laptop, punched in the password and started hacking like the professional he was. "I'm in," he muttered, then Will, Matt and I all got in positions that we were comfortable in and could see what Ben was doing. "What do you want me to make them do?" he questioned, even though he knew exactly what we wanted the robots to do. We all smiled at each other.
That night we all had a disco party with the robots. Ben made not only the four that were in the underground science lab friendly, but all the robots kind to humans. Turns out, they actually make great friends and are the best at telling jokes.
"To robots," I announced.
"To robots!" the robots (Tom, Nick, David and Leo), Matt, Ben, Will and I all stated at the same time. We all cheered.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!