Mums Family

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

I’ve always tried to avoid this time of year. I fake being sick, Injure myself and even catch a bus to my dad's place. But the one thing I’ve learnt is you just can't escape family, especially my mum’s side. Now it’s not that I don’t love my family. I love my dads side but my mum’s side is unique. Although I did promise mum I’d come. This time. We’ve packed and are ready to head out to the family gathering, but first a nine hour flight from the beautiful tropical land of Hawaii to Brisbane. We get on the plane and I’m served a large chocolate muffin, my favourite.

We land, as I step down the stairs a humid, sticky feeling pours through me and large flabby arms gather around my waist. I look down and see my grandma holding me as she greets me with a warm hug I stand stiff and don’t hug back but all I’m looking at is the large hairy mole sticking out of her cheek rubbing against my shoulder. She puts me down and I see the rest of the family. My wrinkly Grandma and Grandpa, my three boring older cousins Lashana, Lauren and Jason, my loud younger niece Sarah and lucky last my selfish, impatient Uncle Raj that would always have the fakest stories of himself to tell anyone he sees, but when it comes to the other person talking he just storms away. Funny enough he is my favourite out of all of them.

We all arrive at our annual gathering spot where we have our bbq and all the kids play. The weather was scorching and the bbq food was as dry as I remember but the desserts were always the best. The kids are told to runoff and go play in the park but there never really was much area or equipment to play in. There would just be a small metal slide with a couple of swing sets attached and if you're lucky a family might bring in a small inflatable pool with a bucket of water. The food was ready and everyone ran over to grab a bite. Although I gave it a pass.

After the food me and Mum headed back to the hotel and Raj’s room was across the hallway but he wasn’t in yet so I decided to pay a visit I mean it’s not like I come to these things every year. I grabbed his soap from the bathroom and started to spread it across the bed sheets then I took his shoes and socks and stuck them to the wall. Lastly I blasted the heater on
max. Quickly I ran out until coming face to face to what seemed to have been a round brick wall but ended up to be Raj’s belly. As I looked up I saw Raj’s nose furiously steaming with air and his eyes popping out of his socket. He entered his room and looked back but nowhere to see me as I locked myself in my room and hid in the bathroom. Now that day I learnt a serious lesson, and it’s that Raj is definitely no longer my favourite but family is still very valuable and important in my life despite how acentric they are.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!