Balanced

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

The wind whipped around the girl, beating against her thin frame. Rain joined the wind, pelting down heavily, causing the smooth concrete to become slippery. They beat against her, attempting to lose the girl's concentration. However, despite everything they did, she remained balancing on the ledge of the building, her eyelids closed over her dull, blue eyes and her choppy brown hair still in its stable ponytail.
The girl couldn't lose her balance. If her balance was lost, she would tumble to her death, without even knowing how far she dropped. She'd land on the concrete right in front of pedestrians who would witness her devastating death. The girl breathed in through her nose and out through her mouth as she focused on her concentration.
The door to the roof slammed open, bashing against the wall but she didn't pay attention to it.
"What are you doing?” A voice yelled out. "Get down from there!"
She ignored the voice as she placed her right foot in front of her left. There was no way she was going to let the voice distract her not when she was so close to her goal.
"It’s pouring!" The voice exclaimed in frustration. "You should be inside." The voice stopped as hurried footsteps sloshed in the rain towards the girl. "Please, get down.”
The girl clenched her eyes shut. "I can’t!" she cried out, continuing her walk on the ledge as she wrapped her arms around herself. "I can't!"
Hands wrapped themselves around the girl's waist. They tugged with all their strength causing the girl to levitate off the ledge. She was lowered to the ground and just as her bare feet scraped against the wet concrete, the sky ripped itself open and rain, heavier than before, descended upon the girl and the other person.
“I was so worried, Mandy."
Mandy suddenly recognised the sweet, melodious tone now that she was closer to the person. It was Ally, her big sister who was always around when Mandy was about to do incredibly dangerous things.
Mandy opened her eyes only to come face-to-face with Ally's disappointed face; dull green eyes and lips shaped in a frown. Her silken white pyjamas were soaked, and her brown curls whipped around her freckled face.
"I just wanted to clear my head," Mandy whispered.
"I told you not to listen to them," Ally said, slightly exasperated.
Mandy felt not only the cold rain down her cheeks, but also warm, salty tears. She shook her head, burying her head into her big sister's shoulder. She left the tears mix with the rain on Ally.
"You shouldn’t' listen to Mum and Dad," Ally reassured. "You're sixteen and free to do as pleased."
Mandy stayed in Ally’s embrace. There was someone who still believed in her which made Mandy guilty. If she really did slip and fall to her death, she would've left Ally alone to face their parents who always doubted them.
Mandy was relieved that her big sister saved her.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!