The African Adventure

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

‘It's just not fair,’ I thought, as I turned to the page in front of me. ‘I'm in grade 5. Why am I stuck here learning about fractions? I guess I’ll just have to wait for school holidays. Wait, that's tomorrow!’
RING, RING, RING! That's the school bell. I shot up, grabbed my bag and just ran to get my little sister from her classroom. "Come on Mandalie!" I cried, grabbing her on the arm, "It's holiday!" We rushed to the car. "Where is Maya?" I asked. "Oh, she’s already home, Stefan," Mom replied as she started the car.
"Finally, we are home! I call computer first!" Mandalie yelled, as she and I leapt out of the car, rushing up the stairs. She ran to the computer, while I went to go ask Dad a question. "Can we go to Africa again someday?" "Yes of course, I was about to tell you the exact same thing," Dad replied. "So, when are we going?" I asked. "Today," laughed Dad. "What? We have absolutely no time to pack!" As I ran out of the room.
"Oh, finally after two hours, we have arrived at the airport," said Maya. “Let's run! Our flight is boarding. Wait! We are on this flight!" shouted Dad.
"You made it just in time. Right this way," said the Flight Attendant.
"For some reason we’re in Business Class. Oh well, that's a few thousand dollars saved" said Dad.
"Yay! Finally we're in the air," said Maya. "I’m going to take a rest," I said.
"Are we there yet?" I asked in a sleepy voice as I glanced around the plane. ‘Why are the flight attendants and passengers acting so strange?’ I thought. "What the? All the plane's engines have stopped working! We're going to crash. Brace for impact!” I shouted.
"Where are we? It looks like some jungle," said Maya. "Great! So all of us are alive!" Cried Mom. "Yes, let's see if there are any more survivors. Nope, looks like a bunch dead people.” "Stef! We don't refer to other people like that!" Mom said. "Wait! I think I see a living person." "I’m Dieter and my wife is Amanda. What's your name?” Asked Dad. "I’m Amber." "Come with me, I want to check on my family," said Dad. "We found two more people. Their names are Dallas and Jakob,” said Mom.
"This might be bad, I think we're lost in Africa," Dad said. "What? Lost in the middle of Africa? I can't live like this!" Dallas said. "I know, I know. It might seem terrible, but we need to live with this," I said. "We need to find food and shelter. Dallas, Stefan and I go hunt. Dieter, Amanda, Mandalie and Maya, you go find shelter," said Jakob. "Let's do it before night. We don’t want to die out here. Let's go!" Shouted Mandalie. "Shh, we don’t want the cow to run away!" I whispered. "At 3, we strike. 1, 2, 3 charge! Yes! We got it. Let 's take it back to camp," I asked.
"Hey, we got some food!" Dallas shouted. "How’s the shelter going?" Jakob asked. "It's going well," Mandalie said. "Ahh!" Shouted Mom. "What is it?" Jakob shouted. "It's a robot gorilla," said Maya. "Oh, sorry, I thought you were Kaos," said Jumbo, the robot gorilla. "Who's Kaos?" I asked. "He’s the evil god that owns this African island. If you want to leave this island, you must kill him," says Jumbo. "Do you have any gear for us to kill him?" Asked Amber. "Yes, I do. I have 7 sets of iron armour, 10 jet packs and 8 missile launchers," said Jumbo. "Fantastic, let's go and give that Kaos what he deserves," said Amber.
"I need to warn you, he is powerful, very powerful," said Jumbo. "I’m sure we can beat him," says Dallas. "Let's go and destroy that Kaos," Mom said. "Charge!" Everyone shouted.
"How far is this walk? My feet hurt!" Jakob moaned. "Stop. Look over the edge," Jumbo whispered. "Um, is that Kaos?" Asked Amber. "What the heck? That's no god, that's a fuzzy maraca," everyone exclaimed, cracking up. "Ok, so can we just kill it so that we can go home?'' "No, he has something bigger!" Jumbo said in a frightened voice. "What?" Dallas asked in a scared voice. "It's a robot wolf, called Snapshot. Here he comes now! Ok, we attack on three. 1, 2, 3 CHARGE! Ouch, ay the pain! Run away!"
"Let's try plan B. We get our rocket launchers and go for his face! Let's go!" Maya said in a deep voice. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!!! "Great, he’s fallen over. Jumbo, smash him! Yay! He’s dead and now for Kaos. Kill him! Die!"
"Helicopter! Over there! Scream as loud as possible!" Dallas shouted. "Over here! Come over here! Guys, he's coming, we’re being saved! Let's get in and go home." "Finally, we're going home. I don't think I’ll ever forget this experience. This was a true adventure.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!