One Foamy Mess

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

BOOM! Foam oozed everywhere, and sparks shot out form the Bunsen burner.
"I shouldn't have done that," I sighed... I head to the back of my lab to grab a cloth, but when I get back to my table, everything was gone... Suddenly the door swings open with crack and small foamy footsteps exit my lab. I grab my notebook, pen and bag and race out the door. I hurried up the stairs and saw mum crying in the kitchen, the foamy footsteps trodden everywhere.
"Mum?! What happened?" I ask, pretending to be confused.
"I don't know Layla, the footsteps have trodden all through my new carpet!" My mum wails. I pat her on the back and grab her a glass of water. I give her a hug and follow the footsteps, it could be anywhere by now.
I ran down the street, passing Jillian's house who came running after me, she was my best friend ever, while we were running, she asked what I was doing.
"I- am- running-after-a crazy-mon-ster-I-created!" I panted she nodded then pulled away.
"GOOD LUCK!" she yelled after me. As I kept running, I started seeing different clues all around me. Foam was everywhere! All over porches and freshly mowed lawns.
Families of all sorts were out the front looking puzzled and confused. I kept running, following the foam, I kept going until I was at a little corner store, it looked run down and old, I pulled out my notebook and wrote down what I had done and what clues I had found. I opened the door and a little bell rung, inside was like traveling back in time. The little counter had a radio, in which jazz music played. The little bell next to the radio looked rusted and old. I ventured towards it and tapped the little knob.
Suddenly a little old lady came out from the side of the store, holding a tray of cookies, her huge magnified glasses stared into my soul.
"Hello dearie, what can I help you with today?" She remarked "I'm Mavis, what's your name?"
"Hi, I'm Layla. Umm, I was wondering if you have encountered any foamy footsteps in your store lately?" She stood there, it looked like she was thinking hard. Then she started nodding.
"Why yes I have actually... He's in my kitchen now, do you want to see him?"
"You can see him? I'd live to come take a look! You see, I accidentally create him in my lab and he escaped so... " I explained, she nodded then opened up the swinging door to let me in. As I went around the corner, a little fluffy dog sat there in the middle of the kitchen, foam was all over his little feet, and then it hit me, I was trying to make an invisibility potion in the first place! It must've worked, the foam must have dropped onto the dog's feet when he snuck into my house! I hugged Mavis and ran back to my house, I flopped down on my couch and sighed.
"Another day over, another job done." I giggled.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!