Christmas Eve

Excellence Award in the 'Horizon of Dreams 2018' competition

The little girl sits restfully by the beaming Christmas tree; decorated with gold baubles, red, fluffy tinsel and warm gleaming fairy lights. Also next to her, a crackling fire, burning bright with four empty stockings hanging on the mantel piece above. She stares hopefully at the small pile of gifts, wrapped in shining gold and red - loose silk bows flowing from their tops. Outside the small mosaic window, glowing from the candle-lit street lights - crisp, white snow falls gracefully. Old footprints disappear as it covers the ground densely.
The little girl's mother calmly walks in and tells her it is time for bed. Time to go to sleep and wait for Santa Claus to deliver her presents. Just as this is said, a group of cheery ladies and gentlemen give a gentle knock on their oak-wood front door. Once the door is invitingly opened, they flick through their song books and begin to sing a medley of merry carols.
The little girl and her mother sway side-to-side as the carols go on. When they have finished, they thank and wish each other a merry Christmas.
Once in bed, the little girl is tucked in carefully by her mother. She tells her a short story, kisses her on the forehead and then switches off the light. The door makes a creaking noise as it shuts. Now it is silent. Waiting for the sound of ringing bells, the little girl squeezes her eyes tightly shut and tries her hardest not to move a muscle.
Suddenly, there it is. A magical sound fills her ears like a hot chocolate fills a mug.
She hears a thud as the reindeers land on her roof shingles - followed closely by Santa's sleigh. Squeaks and groans echo throughout the house as Santa Claus attempts to squeeze himself down the chimney. He suddenly shoots out, just missing and scraping along the top of the hot fire and coal. A bump shakes his surroundings when he places his giant, red sack of gifts on the wooden floor. A few topple out unexpectedly and he struggles to lean over and pick them up. He gently places about ten presents under the tree, then he fiddles with his long, white monster of a beard, as though trying to remember something important.
Once he remembers, his fingers springs into the air like a Jack-in-the-box. He digs deeper into his sack of presents to find one small, silver box. He lifts up the lid to check if something is inside. He grins and chuckles quietly, then proceeds to put the box under the tree - alongside the other presents. After a quick bite of a cookie as some of it snaps and crumbles onto the floor and a sip from the glass of creamy milk, Santa lugs his presents up through the chimney again.
The little girl heard it all, so she smiles excitedly as she peeks through a single eye. What will the morning bring?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!