The Inventor

"Ugh!" Groaned Thomas. His white, tousled hair getting in his face. His bright red converse done up tightly.
He was trying to invent something that would change the world, but that wasn't working out for him.
His dream was to become the world's greatest inventor, but he was still only in 2nd place.
In 1st place was Darren Science. Darren had made the worlds bounciest handball that he proclaimed bounced up to 50 metres.
Thomas was determined to knock Darren off from the top spot.
Thomas got a large mixing bowl and mixed together a number of ingredients and wrote down the recipe.
Thomas couldn't keep his eyes open, they felt heavy and weak. He went into his room, laid down on his comfy bed, and fell into an uneasy sleep. In his dream, he heard Daren calling his name, Thomas, Thomas, Hahaha. Thomas woke up suddenly, sweat dripping down his face like a tap left on during the night. Thomas heard a noise coming from his lab. It sounded like metal being hit against a wall over and over again. Thomas slid on his slippers and walked nervously towards his lab.
He saw something move from the comer of his eye. He looked inside the bowl that he had been working on, inside was just a pile of goo but it looked like it was rising. Slowly the pile of goo was rising higher and higher, getting more defined, it was slowing becoming alive, like a monster. Thomas pinched himself “Ouch" nope he wasn't dreaming.
"ROAR" went the ginormous pile of goo. Thomas ran out of his house and stood outside. From the window, he could see the monster getting bigger and bigger until it was oozing out the door of the house. What was he going to do?
Where was he going to go?
Thomas went around all sides of the house, to try and find the monsters face. Maybe he was friendly? The monsters face was bright pink, with spotted black dots. It had a wide grin from ear to ear.
Thomas opened the window where the monsters face was. He peered inside, there was barely a metre gap between him and the goo.
Thomas put one shaky hand on the monster, it felt slimy and sticky.
The monster didn't move. Was the monster processing Thomas? Maybe he wasn't all that bad after all.
After a minute, Thomas took his hand off the goo. There was no movement. Inside the transparent monster, he could see the page of ingredients.
Thomas decided that he was going to get the page from out of the monster. 1, 2, 3, Thomas dove right into the monster with no second thoughts.
What if he split the measurements. Maybe he could get a smaller, friendly monster and beat Daren once and for all.
He got out the ingredients and measuring utensils and tried again. After a couple of attempts, Thomas successfully made it work. Could he win after all? Maybe all of his dreams would come true.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!