Dear Diary

30th of January 1825
Dear Diary,
Today I felt terrible the work was so hard. I sat down in the shade of a tree to rest, as every bone of my body ached. We had been up to sunrise working to clear the dry and dusty land. Then I felt it hard, a stinging whip across my back. I stood up suddenly biting my lip and holding back tears. I turned around; it was the boss.
Elizabeth
31st of January 1825
Dear Diary,
Today was as hard as yesterday. I have been waiting to write here all day. It seems to be my only time of peace. The whip lashings across my back still feel like fire. I have noticed some are weeping with infection.
I am a convict, I thought the harder I worked it would be an easier life for me. I wish I had more money for doctors to save my mother. That is why I stole the oil from the old lady next door. I hoped it would save mother, but my luck ran out. Mother died from the savage Winter and here I am trapped in Australia.
Elizabeth
7th of February 1825
Dear Diary,
I have not written for so long. Another convict on the homestead told me I have been in bed all week with the doctor visiting daily. While I was working I collapsed as my infection on my back had grown so bad. The food here is poor and I did not have any medicine.
I have become a bit stronger and am doing light chores around the master's house. This includes helping to care for the master's children. I miss being with children my own age.
I have just heard a lady from my master's church has offered to adopt me. Surely this can only mean a different life for me.
Elizabeth

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!