Lauren.

"Why?" She stood tracing her fingers around the day-old envelope that had not yet been opened. The soft glaze of the parchment and the bright sun shining down on the letter.
"Another BILL!!!" She longed for the weight of money to no longer weigh her down, the strength too heavy to bear.
Cheerfully, her soon-to-be-husband caressed her cheek in a circular motion hoping to get a good glimpse of her deep brown eyes pushed away behind her long dark hazelnut hair. Twirling her thick hair around one finger, she giggled.
Manfred and Melby, the cats of the house awaited for their precious cat treat presented in the classic blue bowl that everyday scrumptious meals appeared in under the will of Lauren.

He was a quiet man, quite like a mouse, a librarian in his mid 20's enjoying the quiet time of his fiance and spending his time with a book in hand enjoying a cup of ice cold water while fretting over the simplicity of his life. Rugged up on the couch is where she preferred to settle down for the night while watching "Harry Potter" on Netflix. One day the stars shone through her eyes and twinkled off into the forever still midnight never to be forgotten by the two who slowly fell to sleep.
Zzzzzz...
"Tweet! Tweet!" Fairy-Blue Wrens surrounded the little cottage of a home when suddenly Carl awoke from his daze with a bounce. Lauren felt the sudden frightening jolt from Carl's hands and like he did she awoke with a shock.
"Oh no!" Lauren stared for a few seconds at the old 17th-century miniature grandfather clock positioned on her mantelpiece upon the wall.

She slipped on a pair of black tights, a bright blue dress, a black cardigan printed with multi-coloured flowers, a silvery butterfly pin in her hair, a pair of black heeled boots and a worried expression upon her bedazzled face.
Jumping into her little red car with a ham and cheese omelette in hand and Carl right next to her holding her phone and an overcooked piece of cinnamon French toast.

As she galloped out of the just parked vehicle she ran, heels prodding over the pebbles on the ground and shoving the late breakfast into her sachet bag while hoping that it was sealed.
As she ran into the orange-walled classroom, she passed the TV, the front table, and her teachers' chair. She wandered up to the open window as to close it but stopped... and stared...

"Morning Ms Buttler, how was your weekend?" Cate questioned making her way into the classroom step-by-step.
"Well Cate, I may have forgotten that the week actually ends!" The pale teacher jerked her head around suddenly, then took a seat and sighed while scoffing down her breakfast.

Then again, she peered out the window as if her eyes were magnets and the window glistened with its reflection. Right then Lauren realized what she was meant to be looking at; Carl was waving and yelled something faint.

"Goodbye... Lauren!" The day was at a good start.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!