Safe

Safe. I am safe.
I wake to the smell of gasoline. The strong pungent smell stung my nose. Light. The light pierced through the darkness as it got closer.
Fire.
My house was on fire.
The burning flames roared as they tore my house down with their 300°c hands. I had to get out but I could already feel the heat creep up on me like a lion hunting its prey. The only way to get out was to go through the beast itself. As I slipped out of my room, my house looked charcoaled like what happens to wood after the campfire goes out. The big red flames nearly surrounded me, I froze as its beady red eyes looked into mine. I had to move. Its arms stretching out ready for it to catch me. I ran. I ran as fast as I could, through a tiny gap which stood out from the flames. But was I too late? I could feel its red-hot tongue on my back. Flames spread across my back like a thousand spiders.

The burning sensation on my back hurt like hell as I tried to put it out.
Water.
I needed to find water.

I rushed to the door as the sink was already swallowed by the flames. I reached for the handle. But the fire was slowly creeping towards me. I couldn’t think. All I needed was to get out of this flaming mess.
The window.
What about the window.
I rushed toward it.

The flames rested on its architrave. I could do it. As I reached for the lock, I could feel its hot breath on my skin. I hurried to open the window as the flames raged on. I slid through the window and onto the damp swampy grass. Safe. I was safe. My eyes blurred and my back still felt like it was on fire. But I didn’t care, I was safe. Safe from the beastly flames.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!