Curious

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

A crumbling hotel loomed ahead of me. Walking slowly, I debated the idea of entering the place. Curiosity won the better of me and I carefully pushed open the gate. The full moon shined bright, lighting my way. Howls echoed, disembodied voices carried from the roof of the hotel.
Pushing open the gate, I cringe at every sound, careful not to be noticed. The tall Greek columns, an oak door embossed with the word Lupus, must have once been a part of a grand hotel, now inhabited with what seemed like dogs. Pushing open the door, I notice a scratch on the side of the window. Claw-like scratches. Shivering, I wonder, I must be insane. Entering a building inhabited with wild dogs in the middle of the night? The door creaks and the howls stop abruptly.
A deep, thunderous voice rings through the air, “Who goes there? Trespassers are prohibited and will be bitten or killed. Give a name and reason and you shall live, for now.”
Trembling, I say, quietly, “Luna Wulf. I was curious.” I say the last word with a certain distaste, knowing it wasn’t a good enough reason for me to be trespassing on their territory. “Luna Wulf, step into the light.” A spotlight shines down and I step out from the porch of the building cautiously. Thousands of wolves stare at me and the light blinds me. I collapse to the ground, the last thing I hear, the laughter and howls of a thousand wolves.
I wake from my fitful unconsciousness to a sky of teeth and fur. I scream and a man laughs. Wait, not a man, a wolf with the voice of a man. He grins, showing white teeth with drips of blood.
“No need to worry. And to answer your oncoming question, we are werewolves, the Pack of North End, Boston! I am Sinis, leader of this Pack. We are the most famous werewolf pack in Massachusetts. Known to have bitten over 5,000! And lucky you, you get to be one,” he says with a vicious grin.
Gaping in surprise, I back away slowly, scared by the threat. “Oh! Ain’t that a pretty sight?” A chorus of shouts from behind Sinis. He leans forward, teeth bared. “Stay still and this won’t hurt. Move and pain will become your best friend.” His grin terrifies me, his teeth so close to my face I can count the blood. His breath fills the air around us as he pushes back my hair to expose my neck.
Sinis smiles, biting down on my exposed neck. Screaming, I wonder in my pained state if I would live. The pain is too much, even though I stayed still. This never should have happened, I was just curious! But curious resulted in me being bit on the neck by a vampire-werewolf. Seizures rack my body and I pray to die or fall unconscious. Fate chose the latter and I shut my eyes to the world.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!