The Adventure

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

The wind was cold and reckless as it pushed snow around the base of Mt Pole. It stood fierce and proud yet it was silent. I ventured across to the base station to collect my equipment, that my best friend had deposited earlier that morning, before going hiking. I slowly pulled my boots on slid into my hiking skis. I stepped outside, the fresh air invigorated my senses. I slowly started hiking: step-by-step. After an hour or so I felt my hands numbing beneath my gloves. Suddenly I heard a loud SWOOSH! my avalanche senses flashed clearly: RED ALERT and my reflexes kicked in.

I searched the area for any big rocks that could serve as minor blockage against the avalanche. I was about to run across when I heard someone yell “HELP”. I could recognise that voice in a million.

I had to save Charlie.

I looked around just in time to see a dark shape hurtling down the slope. I decided to backtrack and plan my jump. I could see it perfectly, I would jump across the track grab my best friend and land behind the stone but the sad reality of it was quite different. I got the jump right but the landing was a different story. I got Charlie behind the stone and my adrenaline was stopping me from thinking properly so I didn’t have the common sense to see if I was behind the stone. Suddenly WHAM! the impact was so strong I thought I was dead but then SLAM my head hit a tree and the pain was so searing hot that I knew I was alive, even if I wasn’t for long. Then I blacked out.

I woke to the sound of breathing machines whirring and the sterile smell of a typical hospital room. My parents were staring at me with worried faces and I also saw my best friend and this stranger who held a Medal of Honour in his hand. He boomed “She is awake, so I will give it to her and leave. He pinned the medal to my hospital dress and whispered near my ear “Sorry we didn’t have time for the proper ceremony”. He left just before I blacked out again from shock.



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!