Last Words

She just stood there on the edge of the large cliff, the sun setting as she looked down at the giant drop below her; wondering if she could step off.
I was just a metre behind her, watching her. She, of course, knew I was there. She glanced over at me, eyes sparkling with fresh tears that were soon to dribble down her cheek. Her hair, brunette mixed with a little bit of gold, followed the path of the wind, along with her light dress, patterned with crosshatch. She looked down again, and back over to me. I stared into her sad, green eyes.
“I want to help you.” I whispered, nearing closer. She turned away, saddened.
“You can’t.” She smiled. “I’ll be safer there.” There was rings under her eyes; streaks from the tears. She turned back to the cliff, and her eyes moved toward the darkness at the bottom of the crevasse.
Without looking back, she stepped off the rocky mass and fell down into the crevasse. I could hear her echoing screams, but I realised they were mine.
I loved her.
With all my might, I ran toward the edge, and fell with her.

I survived the fall with injuries- but her; she was gone to a better place. A world that wasn’t as cold and cruel as ours; a place that she wouldn’t fall deep into unhappiness.
She was safer there.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!