The Forest Of Spirits

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

Dark clouds devour all my surroundings like a wildfire eats up forests. I hear an ear shattering scream and then a loud thud. I cautiously make my way through the secluded forest weaving in and out of thick trunk trees, the grass itching at my legs. As I'm walking, I look down to see a girl, laying limp and motionless on the cold, hard ground of the forest. I quickly cover my mouth to stop me from screaming, I kneel down next to the girl and check to see if she has a pulse, relief washes over me as she does, she must have fainted. Sitting down, I sigh.
I close my eyes and bury my head on top of my weak knees and then wrap my bony arms around my knees. Staying like that for a while felt good, but I wasn’t truly happy, my body was riddled with fear, I was ready to bolt at any moment. *Crack*, a stick breaks, my eyes bolt open and my body follows, I rush behind a tree. Peeking around a thick tree trunk, I see a shadowy figure picking up the limp body and walk off into the darker depths of the never ending forest. Stepping backwards in shock, a stick breaks, alerting the shadow of my presence. My heart jumps, telling my body to run as fast as I can.
I huff, exhausted from racing for a decent hiding place away from the intruder. I slump down on a tree and stare sadly into the dark forest. I have so many questions running through my head, like why was he picking up the body and where was he taking her? I feel bad that I left her, but I need to find a way to escape the forest, before I get taken wherever she was taken. If I find the old camping grounds, I can find my way out of this forest, now I am sort of glad that dad always took me on camping trips here, even though I used to hate them. *Crunch*, my heart freezes, he found me, not now, I need to run somewhere other than here, I jump up and slowly start walking away so I don’t make a noise. I start to run, I run for ages and then I crash into somebody, sending me tumbling on to the ground, and I cover my face, ready for whatever is next.
I wait, nothing happens, I open my eyes to see that the world around me has stopped. I slowly stand up to see that the masked figure is standing there, completely still, not moving an inch. I stare in shock, not believing what I’m seeing. Suddenly I hear a voice.
“Run, go now, while you can,” the voice says eerily. I listen and bolt as fast as I can, as I get to the edge of the dark forest, I trip and everything around me suddenly goes black.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!