Hard To Be Sincere


I lay on the cold floor helplessly, just waiting to be picked up again or found.I had fallen off of my owner’s wrist ages ago, and even though the sunlight had been illuminating my gold rim around the hall of the mansion, I still would not be given any attention from the humans living here.The deafening silence rung so loudly around the area, along with my hands rotating on my face.This was definitely going to be a long and boring testing of patience.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps bouncing on the walls of the hall.As I hoped for it to be my owner, I adjusted myself to shine more in the sunshine.Unfortunately, it was his son and he had noticed me!With a cocked face, he headed over to where I was lying and picked me up slowly.He seemed to realise what I was and who I belonged to, and put me in his pocket.Finally, I was going to be sent back!

Just then, my owner walked by and asked his son if he had seen me, and as I waited for the nod, the son’s fingers slipped into the pocket and started fidgeting.
“No I haven't, have you lost it?”
My world of hope and happiness crashed into pieces as soon as I heard the first word.
“Yes, I'm pretty sure I dropped it here but tell me if you see it Charlie.”
“Oh, sure thing.”
My beloved owner disappeared down into the hallway and I wanted to scream and sob, even though I couldn't.I looked up to the son with a frown, so dismayed I couldn't think.How could he, what did he want from me?

That night, ‘Charlie’ had set me up on his window sill where the moon shone brightest, and went to bed.I remembered how he hid me inside his pocket during the eating session for the family.I wished and wished that my owner would abruptly put his hand into the pocket and find me.My outline of shimmering yellow glimmered and I was able to watch the boy tossing and turning, and getting up occasionally just staring at me like he wanted to do something evil to me.Unexpectedly, he scooped me up and started getting out of his room.What was he going to do, hide me in a secret place where only he would know?

Gradually, I registered that he was heading to my owner’s room and he knocked quietly on the door, but it was still manageable to hear.My owner opened it and looked with wide eyes at me.He took me from his child and questioned his son about the situation.With his head down, Charlie explained the story while my owner smiled and quickly left the room and came back with another watch for his son.Well, honesty comes with a reward.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!