Final Words

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

"You know how we've always talked about marriage?"
"Don't do this Miles" sobbed Jane, "please don't do this."
"Jane, I'm not going to make it. The doctor said so herself, my brain is bleeding more and more every minute. So please, please let me say this. Reach into my jacket pocket, there's something I've been writing in there."
Jane reached down into her boyfriend's blood stained breast pocket of the brown Santa Cruz, Coyote jacket she'd bought him for his 21st birthday, and felt a soft piece of crumpled paper slip into her fingers."
"I want you to read it Jane". Tears continued to stream down Jane's face, staining the hospital's bedsheets as she heard the desperation escape from Miles' mouth.

Unfolding the piece of paper, Jane read aloud in a pain riddled voice:

"Jane, I love you. I know you hear these words come from my mouth day after day. But I mean them.
I am in love with you and I know we argue sometimes, I know we bicker, I know that your head has rested upon a tear soaked pillow as a cause of my own mistakes, those of which I can never forgive myself for.
Hence why I need to apologise, though I have done so over and over again, I feel as though it will never be enough.
I'm sorry that I haven't been the perfect boyfriend, I'm sorry for the times that I have made you cry, made you yell, scream out my name in anger.
I'm sorry for it all, though, I will never be sorry for your stumble into my life.
You complete me, you've made me the man I am today.
You taught me what love really is.
An endless jigsaw.
You were my first real love. You are my first real love.
I never run out of things to love about you.
Your bright smile, deep brown eyes, the feel of your lips against my own, the way the corner of your lip curves up whenever you're about to tell me something funny, the way you stare at me, transfixed beyond realisation. Your embrace takes me to a safe place, the safest place imaginable. When I'm with you, my problems, my worries, all of the negative aspects of my life disappear, you're all I need, you're all that I ask for and I'm concluding this corny, cheesy and clichéd speech with"

Jane, ever so slowly, lowered the piece of paper she clenched in her trembling hands.
"With what Miles?" she emptily replied, whilst her lip quivered through stifled sobs.

Miles' breath was shortening, as was his time.
"Now. Even right now, I continue to fall in love with you, it pains me to see you like this, but I ask you to promise me that you'll continue living your life to its fullest when I'm gone, please.
I love you Jane."

"With what? Miles! Miles?!"

"Will you marry me?"

The painstakingly, long drawn out beep silenced her answer….

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!