The Mysterious Box

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

THE MYSTERIOUS BOX

A fire broke out at the circus!
There were screams of horror everywhere. There was nowhere to hide, the fire chased Zander like a jaguar, fast and furious. Zander tried to get away from the fire, but the entrance was blocked by red, burning flames. It was as hot as the burning sun. He began to panic.
Zander heard a croaky voice calling “Come here Zander. Come”. He followed the voice and he saw an old man. He had shaggy clothes and a wrinkly face that showed his age. The old man said, “I know a passage that leads to the outside, come on”. Zander followed the old man through a dark tunnel.
It was an ancient sewer covered in spider’s webs, it smelt of rotten eggs. They climbed a ladder up to the surface. The ruins of the circus were directly in front of them, ash and smoke filled the air. Zander suddenly realised that his parents were trapped in the fire, but it was too late. Zander fell to the ground hands on his head, hunched over.
Zander then asked the old man-
“How did you know my name?”
The old man replied, “It’s a long story, do you want me to tell it?”
“Yes” said Zander.
The old man began to tell his story:
I was living in London when I found a large box, at least twice my height. It was white all over and rectangular. I realised there was a door on the outside of the box. I opened the door and hopped into the box. Immediately something happened. The doors locked, and I was transported to this circus, today. I looked at myself in the mirror room and gasped. Then the fire broke out. I heard your parents call your name and I realised you were in danger.
Zander stayed quiet.
Then he said, “Let’s go and find the box”.
The old man and Zander went to where the old man last saw the box. They found the box. They both stepped inside.
Immediately the door locked, and they spun around wildly! They appeared at a place they had both never seen before. Palm trees and a volcano greet them as they opened the door. Excitedly, they stepped out of the box and saw something swoosh past them, but they could not make out the shape of it? It was a land of dinosaurs! Their faces bloomed with happiness because they had found the place to live together. This was the perfect home.
Zander was overjoyed that he now had somebody to live with forever!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!