Kevin's Memoir

I looked down at Corrie, her red hair a curtain over my lap. Her scream still bounced around the walls of my skull; the rip of her flesh as the bullet entered her back; the blood that sprayed from the wound, dying her surroundings and herself, painting it red. What happened to my girl?
The group came back from their mission leaving in its wake the burnt and smouldering remains of the bridge after they blew it up. Their grins stretching from ear to ear, their echoing laughs had sent something crawling down my spine and my heart into a frenzy of pain. A sombre wave of mourning planted itself deep into my gut. The others continued their overwhelming and incessant chatter. It took a few moments before a gasp had slipped from someone’s lips and the mood took a drastic turn. It had gone from light and enthusiasm to a dark and depressed blanket that was slowly sucking up the earlier carefree attitude and suffocating it. The silence was roaring in my ears, enough to make me look up from Corrie’s rasping breaths that escaped from her slightly parted, chapped lips. I met Ellie’s eyes. They had glassed over and her lips were trembling.
“What happened? Kevin, what happened to Corrie?”
The stutter in her voice was enough to make me flinch and emotions were swirling and churning deeper into my gut. My throat seemed to clog up at the words that were rising.
“She has been shot Ellie.”
Robyn put a hand on my shoulder and gave it a reassuring squeeze, but I felt cold and worthless.
“We should dump her at the hospital, it’s the only way none of us can get caught,” Homer’s voice sounded calm. The words flowed over me, like a river over stone. The boys backed up the Mercedes, lifted Corrie and loaded her into the car. Her body gave a dull thud on the back seat.
Something inside me snapped. I cannot dump her! Anger bubbled to the surface and set my veins on fire. In my silent seething, my heart gave a mighty roar of rage and protectiveness.
“No! I am not just going to dump her alone with strangers in an enemy war camp. There is no way that they are getting anyone else I care about!”
I met Homer’s eyes with a cool stare.
“I will take her, but I’m not dumping her.”
Tears slid down Ellie’s face and quiet sobs racked her body. I gave a weary smile to the group as I slipped into the driver’s seat. I turned the key. It felt like I was switching off the easy level to the game we were all trapped in; from now on it was only going to get more difficult. I put my foot down and throttled into a new beginning to save Corrie, still unconscious in the back seat. I would risk everything for her. As I drove away, I prayed that she would survive.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!