Last Weekend’s Pig Hunt

Last weekend, my brother Jacob and I were keen for a hunt, since we hadn’t been for a while. Late that night, we decided to go pigging. It is good to go with him in his Ute and its better than walking. We can’t go every weekend because Jacob has to work but when he is free we make the most of it.
The next morning we flew back to Baradine in Jacob’s Ute to get the dogs Buster and Trevor, and get out pigging .At sunrise we grabbed the dogs and got them ready to go to our favourite pigging spot.
Our spot isn’t far from Coonabarabran. When we arrived at the dam there were fresh pig tracks everywhere. The dogs Buster and Trevor were keen when we walked them around the dam but we heard a Ute and drove off, not wanting extra company.
We went past some other piggers who looked like they didn’t know their way around. They turned around and followed us. We knew they were following us so we quickly drove off.
Driving around, we saw a mob of pigs about thirty, and there was a few good sized ones. My brother Jacob stopped the Ute and said “Get out and chase them brah”.
So I took Trevor with me and chased after the mob, Trevor could not get through the fence so he chased one in the scrub on the opposite side of the fence. The pig was a fair bit ahead of the mob, probably 50 metres.
Meanwhile, Jacob drove up a bit and saw two nice boars and sent Buster after them. The dogs had a nice boar but the road was too thin to turn around.
“Come here brah” Jacob yelled. So I jumped on the back and held on to the side of the tray. We had no reverse because he was due for a new gearbox, so we did a donut to turn around.
The dogs were barking in the scrub and a few pigs ran out of the scrub in front of us and the dogs were after them. Trevor got one and someone else’s dogs grabbed hold of it as well. I grabbed Buster, and threw him on the back of the ute, chaining him up. The owner of the other dogs got bitten by the pig and Jacob just looked at him and shook his head, Jacob flipped it and went to kill it and the guy that had gotten bitten said “nah let it go because it could have suckers down the track” somewhere and “yea righto” said Jacob.
Our dog, Buster was ripped-up under the neck and he was pissing out blood. We got it all over us. We wiped the rip with a wet rag. Seeing, as though it was not too deep, he did not have to get stitches. When we go for a hunt next time hopefully we don’t forget the neck collar.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!