Alone At Night

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

Antonio stared at the sight as if it was a pile of money. Eight stone spheres stood before him, each one perfectly round, with intricate markings engraved onto its surface. Theories crowded his mind. Were they put there by aliens? Had they been shot out of a volcano? Was it because a god was offended? Each theory seemed more absurd than the other. He couldn’t tear his eyes away from them. Footsteps approached.

“Oi!” yelled a voice, “Why are you standing there like you’ve been hypnotised?” Antonio spun around, it was his boss.
“I-I’m sorry, I just saw something”, he stuttered.
“Get back to work!” his boss barked, “I have no time for your cheek!” He left muttering under his breath, leaving Antonio alone. He shook his head and told himself that he was just seeing things.

However, he had a huge shock. More mysteries were unveiled, leaving him speechless. Ruins of once glorious buildings lay among the trees, undiscovered until now. Further exploration revealed tarnished diamonds embedded in bracelets scattered carelessly on the ground. Deeper into the forest, there were temples with parts of them that had fallen off. This seemed like a secure and advanced civilisation. How could it be defeated so easily?

Each theory took Antonio a step away from reality. It was like trying to solve a puzzle where nothing fitted He tried to piece everything together, but nothing made sense. He was confused, as if he was trying to find his way through dense fog, where footprints led him to a dead end. What should he do? He didn’t want to keep it a secret and let this divert him from family life. But he didn’t want the spirits of the forest to be disturbed. Finally, he came to a conclusion that he should inform the police. He had been so disturbed by this that he hadn’t noticed it was dark. He tried to find a way out in the darkness, but it only took him deeper into the forest. The hairs on the back of his neck prickled.

Antonio whipped around, he could just make out an animal that was standing in front of him, with its ears alert. The animal distorted into a woman. A wave of nausea hit him. The necromancer was holding something behind her back that gave of a fierce glow. It illuminated her appearance and she seemed more sinister, her eyes were blood red, like a demon. Antonio’s heart skipped a beat.

“Give me the treasure you found…or else”, she barked in a crackling voice. Her harsh voice broke the eerie silence in the evening.
“I didn’t find any treasure! What do you want?” he replied, in a slightly hysterical voice.
“Didn’t you hear me state quite clearly that I want the treasure you found? Just give it to me. If you don’t you’ll be sorry.” Antonio’s legs finally obeyed him and he ran. “Run all you like, but you won’t escape. I’ll give you till midnight,” she laughed.









FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!