Never Give Up

Hi, my name is Maya. I have a flat nose because I come from Vietnam and I am proud of it even if sometimes I get bullied at school.
Today, I thought about the newsletter I saw the day before which said:
Kid President
Please call Mr Grump-Ump 0487654321 to become the President of the World!
Speech required
I want to become kid President. I rested my head in my hands thinking if I should try! What if people didn’t like me?
Suddenly a big idea sparked in my small head! If I became President I wouldn’t get bullied about my almond eyes and my tiny flat nose. But more importantly I could help REFUGEES, poor, rich and everyone!
I ran as fast as a lightning to the telephone. I quickly dialled the number 0487654321. My hands were shaking as my black hair stood on end.
Then I heard a grumpy voice shouting at me “Hello!”
“Hi” I answered excitedly.
“Speech” the grumpy voice replied.
I stared at the piece of paper... Oh no I forgot to do the speech! What was I going to do?
I tried to write down the whole speech. Sadly, the angry man had hung up!
The next day when I woke up, I found a golden letter under my bed saying, “You have only failed if you have given up.” My heart was beating so fast I nearly exploded.
A small bus arrived. Some kids came rushing out. I could see their sweat running down their throat while their hands were shaking so fast that I couldn’t see them. One of them was called Amandla. She had soft and curled hair spinning like a ballerina in the breeze.
Amandla said in a gentle but firm voice, “Can you please help us. We have no home. Our family and our friends are going to die because no country will let us stay!” Salty tears ran down their dirty faces. Even I had tears in my eyes. My heart sank. After a long pause I firmly said “YES!” All of them jumped on their feet and cried out loud “HOORAY!” I felt a rush of joy starting to spread as I remembered the golden letter under my bed.
The next day, I heard my doorbell ring. I went downstairs to open the door and there, in front of me, was Mr Grump-Ump. He entered my house and instantly saw the refugees. He asked me, “What are these filthy monkeys turned into slugs?” “They are not filthy, they are not monkeys and they are not slugs,” I replied in a calm voice. Mr Grump-Ump said angrily, “You took my place. Now all I am is nothing!” I noticed sparkling dust on his hands. “What is this?” I asked. “It is called power darling! I am making a wall so that your little filthy friends can’t cross my borders!” I understood our mission wouldn’t be easy but Amandla and I would never give up.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!