Taking Chances

Since I was three, I’ve been moving from city to city. My name is Amelia and I live a life full of traveling to new places. It has been that way for 12 years. Finally, my Dad has found a job he enjoys. They tell me that the contract will last three years, longer than any time before. Mum shows me the new school I’m going to. It seems cool.
I am just finishing the last of my packing before we leave for California. It’s been nice living in Texas, but now it’s time to leave.
We finally arrive in California and it’s so beautiful. We’re almost at the new house. Once we get there my Dad will have to go straight to his workplace to let them know he’s arrived. I get out of the car and walk slowly to the door taking in the sun as it smiles down upon me. Opening the door, I see another empty house ready to decorate. I take a quick look around and now I’m running through the house looking for the perfect room to claim.
It takes four hours to get the furniture unloaded into the house. I’ve got the basic items in my room, a bed, a desk and a wardrobe. I’m starting school the day after tomorrow. I’m not that pumped to go as I find it hard to talk to people and make friends. When I was six years old, I had friends, but it ended badly when I had to leave them. I hang out by myself now. I’m used to it, I get no questions from my peers.
I hate getting up for school so early in the morning, but you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do. That’s what my dad says anyway. My first day has been going smoothly, I now have my last class. When I get home, I head straight to bed, exhausted.
One week into my new school, I’m sitting at my lunch table when a girl and a boy approach me. They introduce themselves as Emily and Mike and sit with me. They talk to each other and try to include me, but I keep my answers short. They do that every day for almost a week. Today the conversation is about a test that we need to study for, so I agree to study with them in the library after school.
I walk into the library, they’re already there. I sit next to Mike and opposite Emily. We’re studying and talking, and I actually enjoy myself. They don’t let me hide, my answers become longer. I feel like I’m really connecting with them, and in such a small amount of time. After this study session we hang out more.
I am happy that I met Emily and Mike and took the chance on new friendships. We graduate this fall. We’re looking at colleges together, planning for our future. Dad’s finally settled on one job. We’re home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!