Little Ms Underdog

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

Adeline's eyes adjusted to the uncomforting sickly yellow lights - it was darker than usual. Dust particles clustered around the individual mirrors on the left wall of the compact room. Tracing the edge of her foundation, she fell into deep thought. Her mind full of battle scars, from warring against depression, which soon followed the loss of her sister. Her palms had no signs of callouses or worked hands; she stood no chance against a foe, yet she still strived on. Locks of brown hair streamed down from her scalp like a flowing brunette shaded river of silk. Her jacket seemed blinding with a black pool of sequins. A sash boasted from shoulder to waist - Miss 4092.
Her arm felt limp as she rested herself against her hard-wooden chair. Standing on the catwalk was a test of endurance and strengthened the core muscles. She stared into her reflection only to be confronted with a memory of the past, some of her sister's last words; a speech to encourage the nation to contribute to an even greener environment before a light mysteriously displaced her with air midway. From her early years, Adeline had found a treasure trove of information, which seemed to warn her of that day or maybe her sister was trying to prepare her.
Adeline felt a surge of light beam down on her similar to the one that took her sister. She closed her eyes accepting fate only to find herself sprawled across a hard-cold floor with many others strolling past her as if in a hurry. Observing her surroundings, a woman with a scarred cheek stared at her in disgust. The woman's clothes were ripped and forlorn. Adeline slowly turned around intimidated only to be met with a skull behind her, startling her. The mysterious woman laughed.
"This isn't a playground child, this is prison."
Adeline confused stood up kicking the skeleton across the room. She questioned. "I don't understand, this must be a misunderstanding."
The woman's expression distorted from a joyous face of laughter to gritted teeth in anger. "None of us chose to depart, we were picked."
In seconds, Adeline sprang from her position across the cold hard tiles. Another greeted her with a smile. A fake smile to hide the grief she was experiencing. The woman did not greet
her with her voice but with her hands. Adeline couldn’t help but wonder what hid behind the wall of teeth in her mouth. She opened her jaws wide as she saw Adeline staring at her mouth; a gash where the tongue was supposedly to be. Adeline gasped in shock. “How?"
The mysterious woman with the scar on her cheek approached Adeline. "Every year, the prison guards leave the premises for two minutes. That is our only chance to escape before they eliminate the stragglers..."
Soon a crowd swarmed the dark corner of the cell hatching a plan. Adeline learnt that those caught had their body parts removed. The keeper punished the mute woman by severing her tongue.
"We need a speedy and efficient breach attack to disable surveillance and lasers," Included the scarred woman, "As well as a tactical retreat if all else fails."
The moment approached the prisoners as days past, yet they haven't seen daylight for months. The captives waiting for the moment. Biting her lip, the tongue less women signaled. Adeline raced for the switch as she hoped that the lasers have shut down. Adeline's cheek pulled her lips into a smile as the red lights flickered. She heard the others holding back the returning guards, which were soon drowned out by her own thoughts. Her arm extended pulling the lever. A wave of relief fell upon the cell as the guards powered off. A surge of light.
"It seems you have defeated the cell; round 2."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!