The Green Lady

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition



I was sitting at my desk, pouring my words onto the blank page. I was trying to record the recent past events. It was terrifying!

The moon was full, and the wind was cold. It was another Halloween in Crathes, Scotland and I celebrated, as I often did, by watching some spooky films. But this year was different than the rest. I was alone. My parents were away on business, and my friends were camping with their families. I was watching a Scottish movie about a castle in my town called Crathes Castle. This place was supposed to be haunted by a spirit called the Green Lady. She spent her nights creeping around in a green dress and scaring the living daylights out of anyone who dared to enter the castle.

I was intrigued, as most teenagers are. I had been to Crathes Castle as a kid, but I did not dare go near the dark haunted towers. They were covered with thick green vines, almost as to keep people from entering. I wasn’t scared anymore though. It was Halloween after all, and I was just a carefree 16-year-old looking for adventure. I hopped in my mini cooper and made my way to the Castle. I didn’t see many people on the street. Most trick or treaters had gone home, belly aches in tow.

I drove up the long, bumpy hill towards the fortress. I stepped out of my car and noticed a thick fog creeping low through the trees. I reached into my warm hoodie pocket and took out my flashlight. I scanned the area. Looked safe enough! I pushed my way through the thick bushes and vines towards the Castle tower. I twisted the handle on the old, creaky door and it opened. I hesitantly walked in and looked around the dusty, stale room. Suddenly, the door slammed shut behind me. I franticly pulled on the door. It was stuck. Heart pounding, I slowly walked towards the hallway.

A cold chill went through my veins. There, on the stairs, was the Green Lady! I screamed and ran to the door but when I looked back, she was gone! I then heard very familiar giggles coming from upstairs. My two foolish, and mischief-maker friends came thundering down, one of them wearing an old, velvet green dress. They got me! They knew I had plans to go to the castle and pretended to go camping so they could trick me. No better time for a trick than on Halloween. However, I would have preferred a treat. Once we all stopped laughing, we made our way through the cool, foggy night and back to my car. As we drove off, something caught my eye in the rear-view mirror. My blood ran cold again. It was the haunting image of the Green Lady floating a foot above the ground and glaring at me in anger.

Since that day, we never stepped foot on the Crathes castle grounds again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!