The Adventure Of Puggy

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

In the dark, damp woods, a pug named Puggy was sniffing a tall oak tree. He was lost and confused.
“Ka kaw, ka kaw!”
He heard loud and sharp noises coming from above the blackberry bush. Puggy looked up and spotted three magpies. Two of the magpies were carrying bags of grains and fruits with their sharp claws. Puggy’s tummy started to rumble so he called out to them: “Hey magpies, may I have some of your food?”
The magpies looked at each other and said, “Only if you face our challenge!” Puggy was about to say no, but he noticed his tummy rumbling again…
“OK,” he said, in a quiet, shaky voice.
The magpies gave Puggy a wide grin and said, “You have to go in the cave where the vicious monster lives. People say he cries blood tears.”
Puggy felt scared but knew he didn’t have any other choice. “OK but promise that you’ll give me some food if I complete the mission.”
“That’s a deal!” Said the magpies.
Puggy slowly tiptoed into the dark cave. His feet felt cold and slimy. He tried not to touch the walls because he could see cobwebs all along and was scared of getting caught in them. He was shining his torch in front of him when he saw a clown, wearing ripped yellow overalls, sitting on a large rock. He was crying and red tears were coming out of his eyes. But when Puggy looked closely, he realised that it was just makeup. Puggy asked the clown what was wrong and the clown replied, “I was going to the circus, where I was supposed to be performing, when my band ditched me in the woods."
Puggy said in a cheerful voice, “Well, you can come on an adventure with me. I’m trying to find my way home.”
The clown’s eyes started to widen and he said, “Sure! What would I do without a talking pug? …Wait, what? You can talk! What’s your name?”
Puggy said, “My name is Puggy, and yes, I’m pretty smart. What’s your name?”
“I’m Harry,” said the clown in a friendly voice. “Well, let’s go, Harry!” Together they helped each other climb out of the rocky cave.
When the magpies saw Puggy and Harry come out of the cave, they were in disbelief. But as they promised, they gave Puggy the food. Harry was pleased to see his new friend happy and they sat down on a log as they ate and chatted. Harry told everyone that he was once the funniest clown in the country. When they finished eating, they asked the magpies if they wanted to join them on the adventure. They replied: “We’re glad you asked, because we can’t find our nest. If you help us, we will help you get home!” The four animals walked under the shade of a tree.
Puggy said to Harry and the magpies, “I’ll call you The Three Amigos!” Harry laughed.
Together they disappeared into the forest.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!