Why It's Cool To Be Different

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

Throughout our lives, society tries to fit us into a box of expectations.
Some people try to fit into this box of rules, whilst some of us try to break free.
People who do try to follow these so called perfect rules, may look at the others who try and step out of the box as being eccentric or different.
For example, society tries to dictate what our attitude should be in so many different areas of our lives, advertising through television, tabloids, social media and more. Showing us glossy images of unrealistic body shapes, expensive styling and an appearance of beauty, the average person could never compare to.
I choose to not fit inside this box… I love being different.
Every single person in this world from babies to our elders, have unique qualities about them.
I feel that no person has the right to judge another human being in regards to… Their height: everyone is always comparing me to my twin brother with our height, just because we are tall for our age. Sometimes a person’s size makes them feel different: but, have you seen the mannequins in the department stores? How many people do you know that are actually built that way?
There are many different cultures in our world: and some people may feel uncomfortable with another’s culture. I feel we should all learn more about each other’s culture, and maybe we might find a little more harmony in our world…
Some people may even judge others because of their religious beliefs, especially when their beliefs are obvious, like wearing a burka or a hijab. Behind that veil is somebody’s mother, daughter or sister … a strong female who has their own story.
There are many different languages: and communication is a powerful thing. One of my best friend’s easiest ways of communication is not with verbal words… but to spell his conversation out, with a qwerty board, and he has so many beautiful and interesting things to say about life. We share a love of different languages and he just happens to be one of the most intelligent people I know.
Some people have the amazing ability to create a beautiful piece of art, some can dance, sing, swim, run or kick a ball, some have the ability to walk unaided or to push their own wheelchair, each one of us has different abilities to the other. This is something, I think is very cool.
We all have our own life story and like our fingerprints … each story is different. I love, just being me, I am unique to every other person
on this wonderful diverse planet of ours… and if someone calls me different… Well, I think that’s cool.
In the words of the great Dr Seuss… 'Why fit in? When you are born to stand out.'

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!