War Of Peace

A light breeze trickled through the land of chaos. Endless cries of pain echoed through his eardrums. The earth trembled with every blast and bullet. Beads of sweat dripped from his forehead. He clutched a piece of scrap paper in his left hand. He twisted around a tree and sprinted to a shrub that laid dead to its side. The lush leaves were splattered with crimson blood. Its latest victim laid below, buried underneath the broken branches.
His pace dropped as he neared the foot of the branches, drowning out the hums of destruction that surrounded him. The stench of blood made his stomach writhe. Every thought washed away within a single whiff. He gulped, swallowing down the boiling sensation that rippled through his stomach. He glanced over the compressed branches, spotting the enemy's camp directly ahead.
He choked back a whimper. These creatures stretched the ability of science. Stripes, scales, fur; everything a mutated DNA structure could offer. These creatures were the devastation of nothing but wildlife itself. This war started off with the discovery of these... animals. Except they weren't any specific kind of animal, they were a mix of species. They started this war to stop humankind, to destroy them all.
When the world wasn’t in chaos, George was a high school Mathematics teacher. He had no experience in the Military life. He only had the information about this war started. It started with scientists finding out that time travel existed. Those times, in his early young adult life, he thought it was all a lie, but now the truth was in front of him.
The scrap piece of paper was the Treaty. He was given this task to save humanity. Humankind only wanted to live in harmony, but they wouldn't accept that. The general, who instructed these hybrids, were strongly against the human race. He orders their slaughter in the blink of an eye. The letter must be delivered before it’s too late!
George inhaled deeply before charging off towards the camp. He dodged several bullets, weaving through the destroyed terrain. Just as he was a few feet away, a screech erupted from his throat. He collapsed onto the ground, blood drinking his shirt. He looked up, seeing the creature he’d been looking for: the general. A nasty grin tainted his humanoid face, gripping onto a smoking shotgun.
“Any last words, animal?” The General spat, gunfire rung like a distant calling of devastation.
He clutched the letter in his left hand, George had a chance. He lifted it up, his hand shook like a volcanic eruption. “Read... please...” his voice trembled.
The General gave him a sharp look before snatching the letter. All five eyes darted across the page, reading like he didn't care. His multi-coloured eyes flashed a sense of realisation once he got to the end of the page. He dropped the paper. Such a small, but a wrongful gesture.
A horn and a white flag drifted him to his endless sleep.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!