Haunted Castle

Haunted castle by Jeslyn 5/6M
On top of a hill stood a gloomy building surrounded by old foliage, dead trees and an over grown garden of weeds and dead plants. The house stood eerily quiet standing around its own ruins. As a family car drove passed it had an engine problem and stopped. They couldn’t get it started again. In the distance thunder roared as rain started to fall from the sky. In the car sat three people, Charlie, Sally and Rosie. They decided to walk to the house to see if they could get someone to come and fix the car. As they approached the house a very unusual thing happened. As Charlie pushed the gate opened it was pushed back at him throwing him to the ground. Rosie asked if he was alright as Sally couldn’t help but giggle. It’s not funny! Yelled Charlie. Somebody pushed that gate closed on me. They investigated but found nothing. By now the rain had become heavier, lightning flashed and thunder roared in the distance. They made a mad dash for the front door.

Charlie was complaining of a sore leg as Sally knocked on the door. Rosie tried to dry herself after getting soaking wet through from the pouring rain. As Sally turned to ask Charlie to be quiet she realised the door had started to open. In shock Sally called out “Hello!” “Is there anybody there?” They heard nothing as they ventured inside.

The house smelled dank and smelly, there was thick dust on everything, mice, cockroaches and other animals scurried away as we entered. On the left we noticed a formal lounge with portraits of a young family staring out into the emptiness. As we moved further into the house there was a stairway and an entrance into the gallery. Nothing had been touched for many years. Dishes sat in the sink, dirty dusty plates sat on a rectangular table with knives and forks beside them. There was even half eaten fruit in a bowl on the bench.

Sally heard a little whisper from the other side of the room. At first she thought she was just hearing things. It then got louder. “Charlie did you hear that?” “Hear what”, shrugging his shoulders. Sally walked alone trying to work out where the whispering was coming from. As she got closer to the far wall of the kitchen the whispering got louder. By this time the storm had now really set in. It was pouring, frequent lightning strikes and very loud thunder drowning most noises. It was getting harder and harder to work out where the whispering was coming from. As she stood near the wall something started to appear beside her. Rosie yelled but Sally couldn’t hear her because of the storm. The form became clearer, a girl holding a toy teddy bear. She wasn’t standing like we were but hovering above the ground. Charlie stood there in shock and horror as she floated past them and moved into the formal lounge.Charlie asked Rosie if she saw the same things he did as he rubbed his eyes in disbelief. They followed to find her quietly playing with her toys with what looked like other kids.

As the clock struck midnight a strange sound stopped them playing. Everything appeared to be out of focus as the room transformed. Everything was new again, as we looked around, there was no dust or dirt to be seen. A large man entered the room and appeared to chase the children. It became chaotic as screams became louder than the thunderstorm. The large man caught one child and stabbed her with a large knife. He then hurled an axe across the room landing in the back of a second child. He collapsed in front of Charlie who was very emotional by now. You could see tears running down his face as we all stood helplessly watching this event unfold. Within what seemed an eternity everything then fell quiet. We all looked at each other in confusion and disbelief. We looked around and everything was dirty and dusty again. Where there was pools of blood now there was no trace of any blood. It was like we had watched a movie and it had ended. “Did you see that?” cried Charlie. “Let’s get out of here!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!