The Final Moments

Excellence Award in the 'Write Along 2018' competition

They walk down the street, huddled together so as to stay warm. The grey sky loomed over them like a predator stalking its prey, uninviting and brutally cold. The streetlights lining the faded tar road flickered in the fragile breeze. Breaths of frigid air reveal puffs of steam in the overcast abyss above them. Aria pulled her beanie further down her head, covering the frost-bitten tips of her ears. “Today was fun, thank you,” he said. They had just been out on a date, celebrating six months of them being together.
“No, thank you,” Aria replied, “I had a great time.”
Jace enveloped her in a tight embrace, burying his face in her curly hair. Shutting his electric blue eyes, he inhaled her sweet scent. He pulled away and placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. Even after six glorious months, his touch was still exhilarating. Jace pulled them into an alleyway, hidden from the prying, public eye. A sudden movement caught the corner of Aria’s eye. “What was that?” she whispered. The air cut through her thin shirt and she pulled her leather jacket tighter around her torso. Jace’s eyes flitted around their surroundings, surveying the area. They caught sight of a dark figure watching them, shrouded in the shadows. “We should get out of here,” he murmured, fighting to keep an even voice. Jace’s hand found Aria’s and they started towards the street.
“Where do you think you’re going?” a gravelly voice demanded. Jace urgently pulled Aria further away from the faceless frame. “Stop, or I’ll shoot,” the voice chided. A distinct clicking sound reverberated down the alley. The couple stopped dead in their tracks. “Turn around,” it commanded.
“On the count of three, we run, ok?” Jace whispered.
“I don’t want to die,” Aria whimpered.
“Trust me. One…” Jace said, squeezing her hand for comfort. “Two…”
“I said TURN AROUND!” the voice roared.
“Three.” The couple broke into a sprint, tearing down the path. But they didn’t outrun the bullets. The sound of the gunshot reached them before the lead did. Aria heard it whistle past her, singing the sickly song of death. A faint breeze hinted the bullet’s movement. And then it hit its’ target. Jace hit the ground hard. Tears sprung in the corners of Aria’s eyes as she rushed over to him, subconsciously noticing the shady stature run off; subconsciously realising it was a familiar face. On her knees, she dialled the ambulance.
She watched the colour drain from his face, turning him a pasty white colour. A deep crimson was spreading terrifyingly fast, soaking into his white t-shirt. Aria leant into him. Their lips met for a kiss that started out gentle and sweet and mingled with tears, but turned into a passionate but desperate battle. A battle against the inevitable marching of time, a battle against the foreboding feeling of the end, a battle against the complicated feelings and outside opinions. And then the last of life flickered out of his eyes.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!